Diagnosis
05/2017
Country
US
State
TX
City
Austin
My wife was recently diagnosed with ALS, she is 67, I'm 69. She does a lot of sewing. I am a retired electrical engineer and for the past 16 yrs we have done volunteer construction of churchs and church camps. We live in our RV during the projects. Now we face different issues and hope this forum will be a big asset in the future.

So sorry to hear about your wife's dx. Welcome! You have found a great place for support and information.

Welcome, Larry, and very sorry to hear about your wife's diagnosis. We will support you however we can.

Best,
Laurie

Welcome Larry, I have found this forum to be invaluable for helping me through this journey. I think you will be glad you found it so early on. Kate

I'm so sorry to have to welcome you, Larry. It's a good place for support.

very sorry to welcome you but this is the best place for support and all kinds of help

I have found this forum to be of the greatest help through out my journey with this nightmare. Just keep posting and ask questions.
You'll learn what post well and what doe not. This has been so helpful for my cals also. So welcome!
Chally

Hello Larry, so sorry to meet you and your wife here, but we are all aboard the good ship Lollypop together and nothing we can do about that. These people here are outstanding and very knowledgeable and caring, they will advise you on many topics pertaining to our disease, don't be afraid to ask.
Al

Thank you for all the kindness. We are moving fast to prepare for what is ahead. We still want to travel, so we have traded our RV for a 'toyhauler' version. It has an 8 ft ramp at the back, a 12 ft garage and two entrance doors. I can easily add a roll in shower when necessary and modify the existing lift system as a transfer from bed to wheelchair. I will also need a lift added to my truck, fortunately our son works at a mobility company doing these installs every day.

We have decided on an EZLite PWC, should be here by mid June. So hopefully we won't need a lift on our around town vehicle for awhile.

Bathroom modifications are the big priority. Decided on a beauty parlor sink rather than the usual ADA sink, it is here waiting on installation. Monday begins demolition of our existing shower to convert it to a roll in shower. Also grab bars including a folding one beside the toilet and another one as part of the faucet. Should take about 6-8 weeks to finish and with just a single full bath, we will have to use the shower in the RV for that time.

Sounds great! So nice that your son can help with modifications. The bathroom sounds great too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back