01/2017
Country
UK
State
London
City
London
Hello,
I have looked at many stem cell clinics, methods and stem cell types in the past two months for my ALS, and have narrowed it down to two candidates: Dr Steenblock or Dr Henderson at stemcell.life
At the moment, Dr Steenblock seems to be the most appealing.
Have any PALS got experience they could share with me that might help me make a decision?
Thanks
Steve

Neither. steenblock had his license taken away temporarily a while back Search his name complaints

All these commercial " clinics" are unregulated and using unproven techniques. PALS have had catastrophic events up to and including death from pursuing these treatments. We have only had one person return and report long term results - failure they said. I do not remember which clinic. I think it was in California.
I just heard Brainstorm is considering offering early access to Nurown for a fee under some program ( compassionate use maybe) They say safety and results not guaranteed but if I were going to pursue this area at all this is the only one I would even consider.

There are threads here if you care to search for prior discussions

Last edited:
Take the money you were planning on spending on stem cells and go on a nice trip somewhere. There are lots of charlatans out there looking to steal your money. These treatments at best do nothing, at worst can cause damage. You already have a fatal disease, why make things worse?
Vincent

If stem cell was a good option we would all be doing it, as far as I know now of us are doing it. My opinion is it is a waste of money and you time.
Al

As for your 2nd candidate, Dr. Henderson, who claims to be Board-certified, I was unable to find him listed as certified by either the American Board of Family Medicine or Internal Medicine. His bio and site are suspicious, to put it mildly.

As others have said in this thread and others, our best advice is to spend your time, money and emotion on something that you already know the value of -- travel, equipment, home care, supplies, etc. that you have reason to believe can make your and/or your family's life better.

Best,
Laurie

I was reading last night that Tim Shaw (a young NFL player) just went to Jerusalem for his 2nd stem cell treatment from Brainstorm. I'm trying to find out what improvements he had, if any.

Steven, you don't want to hear this, but only desperate fools are gong to these expensive, useless clinics.

The promising stemcell technology is still in trials. And is NOT available from any clinic.

The ONLY one I would look at is Brainstorm. I've been keeping up on stem cell research since 2014.

Believe me....all the others are a waste of money and a risk of what health you still have.

I had personal experience with Dr. Steenblock three years ago. At that time he admitted to me that stem cell treatment wasn't effective in ALS. But if I wanted to try, he recommended that I go to an affiliated clinic in Mexico that can operate outside the laws of the United States. After trying a few supplements he recommended that did nothing, I walked away.

Steve Gleason, who is as many here are aware a retired NFL player and the subject of the documentary film "Gleason" tried stem cells and got much worse. With his resources, I am going to guess he got the best experimental treatment money could buy and it was still a disaster. No neuro I have ever heard of recommends it.

Thanks everyone,
From all of your answers, it looks like it simply doesn't work. I was under the impression that it worked for a while, then symptoms returned. I suppose that could be extending your life. I had planned to have a couple of stem cell treatments a year, in the hope that it would keep the disease at bay to some degree.
Steve

I think that is what NurOwn does, however it's starting Phase 3 trials soon. There's still hope!

NurOwn does do that, and it has been a great boost for many study participants. I think what the studies are doing is figuring out how to use stem cells effectively, and not randomly the way they are used in these off label clinics.

I think the cure may, in fact, be stem cells. However, we're not even close. Just keep watching NurOwn's trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back