Diagnosis
04/2015
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Richmond
My mom passed away today after a long two years of holding on with ALS. I must say that even though I've read how this disease progresses and that there's no cure, I still thought that we had more time with her. Her sudden passing still feels raw and I'm sitting in my room across the hall from her room waiting for her to press her call bell that will never ring.

...that ring to bring her to the bathroom.

...that ring to adjust her pillows

...that ring to help her with suction.

...that ring to help her to a sitting position on the bed to help her breathe easier

...that ring to take off her neck brace.

...that ring to put it back on

But I must admit that I wasn't the best caregiver. Prone to bouts of anger and frustration at times. Frustration when I heard that bell... but now I know I'll never hear it.

I am sorry for your loss. Wishing you peace and comfort.

My sister died unexpectedly too. Such a shock even though you know it will happen sometime.

You did your best and you hung in there. That makes you a great caregiver. Every caregiver gets tired and frustrated at times. You are human. Please forgive yourself those moments. Your mom surely knows what was in your heart

Last edited:
So sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. May peace be with you.

I'm sorry for your loss. Your mother was fortunate to have you stick with her until the end. Please find comfort in this.

KimT,soonerwife,NikkiJ: Thank you for your kind thoughts.

Hope other CALS can realize that it can get frustrating at times, but it also shows that they need and appreciate you when they call.

Crown,

Every CALS wears one, and no one at root wants to take it off. But set it down we must. Your mom knew how much you loved her, and I am sorry for your loss.

Best,
Laurie

Sorry for your loss. You were by here side and did your best. Frustration is something we all feel. May you find some peace in knowing that she wasn't alone and neither are you.

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Everyone here understands how difficult it is to be a CALS. As others have said, I'm sure your mother knew your love and your presence - you were there when she needed to call for someone. Try to be kind to yourself. (And thank you for your words of advice.) I hope the coming days bring you peace. Judy

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss.

I am a caregiver for my husband, and I sometimes get tired and frustrated at the constant requests. I try to take a deep breath and keep plugging on, but it definitely wears on you. Your mom was blessed to have you there at her side.

Wishing you peace.

I'm so sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

I am so sorry for the loss of your mother. Please know that every CALS has the feelings you had at some point but the important thing is that you were there for your mother. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sharon

Sorry for your loss, I can only imagine what you are going through. Wishing you much strength during the grieving process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back