Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Colorado
City
Deckers
Hi all,
I have been struggling with vague symptoms for the past month and lurking around this forum in that time. I thought it might help put my mind at ease if I asked your opinions. About 4 weeks ago I began experiencing fascics in my calves, didn't think much about it for the first few days but as it became more noticeable and more widespread it has gotten me concerned. I was in Australia working, went and saw a doc and was told to chill out, probs just anxiety and given a script for diazepam. I figured I was stressed but I had some vacay coming up and the return trip home in that time, I'll give myself time to relax and see what happens. I'm home now and the fascics have spread to my quads and buttocks and sometimes I feel ticks in my forearms/shoulders as well. I don't feel any weaker but I have gotten several cramps in my forearms/legs. At the same time I feel like I am constantly flexing and looking for signs of atrophy which is probably not helping my case any. I have also attempted to check my own reflexes which seems dumb in retrospect, to me they seem very brisk but I don't have anything to compare against. I have an appt with my pcp on Monday. Does this sound concerning to you guys? I'm going to push hard for a consult with a neuro just because I have been driving myself crazy and I think an EMG is the only thing that will put my mind at ease. You guys think it is wise to bring ALS up with the doc or let her draw her own conclusion?

Hello Brooke like you doctor said chill out, and no I would suggest you don't mention ALS to your doctor, just let him or her do their normal prognosis, don't try to steer them.
Al

Just had big cramps in both arms when attempting to work on my bike. Followed by fascics in arms and legs. I feel like my grip strength is alright but I just couldn't use an Allen wrench without cramping big time. Ugh simultaneously can't wait for this docs appt and dreading it at the same time.

Honestly twitches and cramping can be caused by so many other things than als, they are not significant on their own. Just describe your symptoms and let your doctor work through it all for you.

good luck with your appointment

Wendy

BrookieI have ALS and I never have pains or cramps, the odd time a little twitching but very seldom. I also have never noticed any change in the appearance of my body either. But I can not walk or talk, that has taken four or more years though. To me it don't sound like you have ALS.
Al

My butt and hips have been twitching a lot the past two weeks and I have periodic issues with leg cramps that would kill a horse. In and of themselves, as Wendy says they mean very little to nothing. For me, they usually mean stress and some dehydration. I love coffee and water not so much :)

Next up, I would say that if you are looking for atrophy you will surely find it. The mind plays tricks that way so try to stop that ASAP.

Seeing your Doctor is a great idea, it will likely put your mind at ease. If you ask for an EMG you will likely get one, but it's not a happy sort of test and many Doctor's want symptoms like yours to go on for a long while before they "go there". Maybe try some rest, hydration, etc instead?

Thanks all, went to the docs ran some blood tests and I have a neurology appt in 2 weeks. Doc seemed pretty unconcerned when I asked her if I should be alarmed so I'm feeling good about that. Will let you know how it goes.

My appt with the Neuro got bumped up to today due to a cancellation. Doc went through a full exam, looked at all my bloodwork and declared me healthy. She said my neurological exam/strength test didn't warrant any further testing, so I'm staying off the internet and going to live my life. I've donated 20 bucks to this forum and I plan on staying far far away. Thanks ya'll I wish everyone good luck.

That's really excellent news! Thanks for coming back and letting us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back