Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Aus
State
Tasmania
City
Hobart
Well I had an EMG/ Nerve conduction study and the results weren't as positive as I had hoped. I don't have the report with me but she said there was abnormalities and my left calf muscle was 50% weaker then the right. I'm not surprised as its now considerably smaller on appearance. My main concern is my wife as we don't have a lot of savings and at 33 years old I didn't consider getting life insurance. Anyway if I am finally diagnosed with MND I'm committed to fighting it and finding a cure.

I am sorry. Was the EMG person not your neurologist? When will you get specifics? Abnormalities could be many things.

Many of us were given EMG results at the time of exam though if the doctor is not your neurologist not always.

I'm sorry about your news. Don't know how it works there in Australia, but if you ddon't not have an actual diagnosis yet, sign up for life insurance immediately. Many companies will still insure you if you are being tested but don't have an answer yet, at least it is that way in the US. You still have time to get some things in place if you do it asap.

In the US, there is a form of insurance that does not ask medical questions. The premium for this insurance is more expensive, but it is worth it.

Hi Nikki, the examiner and neurologist were indeed the same person but I wasn't given anything except for a battery of other tests such as Head Ct, MRI, blood tests ect, and I will do another EMG in 3 months. I'm guessing if things have changed so much in just one month then i don't know what it will be like in 3. It would be good to be diagnosed with something though. So I've decided to finally take a course in hangliding as the danger aspect of it doesn't seem like such a big deal now lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back