Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
Ca
City
Redding
Thank you for any advice. My mom was just diagnosed w Bulbar onset. I am planning to be her caregiver, and also have 3 children. I am 46. In taking her to spots i noticed that some of the symptoms she has I actually have too, and have been ignoring. What ate the chances right?

Specifically, I have noticed that speech has become more difficult. I am not slurring and I sound ok but have extra fluid in my mouth. Her speech therapist tested my tongue and found it weak on one side w fluctuations. Bad sign? I swallow fine, no other weakness but my tongue feels weird.

Also I have a numbish, tingly spot on my tongue on that side, lips and cheek. My feet tingle and sometimes hands. No other muscle weakness though.

Thank you.

Sorry for the above typos. Also, the back of my tongue feels really heavy on the side she said was weak, especially when I lay down. Thanks again.

I would suggest seeing your doctor to discuss your concerns and get a referral to a neurologist if they feel it necessary. Don't ask them if it's ALS, just let them do their thing to determine what could be going on.

Thanks Christine. Does anyone know of any other cause for weak tongue w facilitations?

Given your mom is newly diagnosed, don't rule out the possibility of "sympathetic symptoms." But yes, there are a host of other causes, many relatively benign. Go through the process and you'll know what it is. Sorry to hear about your mom and we will support your caregiving however possible.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back