Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NY
City
New York
Hello everyone

I want to first thank you for taking the time to read my post.

About a week and a half ago, I noticed that my right leg and arm felt a little off. They felt as if they were lighter/weaker than my left side. I could still do everyday things such as walk normally and grip things. But I couldnt shake off that weird "weak/lighter feeling". Sometimes when I go for a walk, that leg feels somewhat more tired/sore than the other. My right arm still feels "off" and a little weaker. Also my right hand feels like it puts in a little more effort when typing but I can still type at a normal speed.

A few days ago, my right leg and arm started feeling random twitches that only affect these limbs.

I've come to understand from reading posts on this site that there is a difference between perceived weakness and clinical weakness. I can still grip things, I dont stumble or fall when I walk. But here is my question:
A.) Do these symptoms sound like ALS? And if not, is it possible for these symptoms to escalate to those of ALS? This ties in to my second question:

B.) Can symptoms that are referred to as Perceived weakness eventually result in clinical weakness?

I ask because Im wondering if the symptoms I have can gradually become clinical weakness that is found in ALS. Is it possible that some nerves or muscles could stop functioning which leads to a feeling of tiredness/soreness/symptoms of perceived weakness AND THEN as more of them stop functioning, it can lead to clinical weakness?

Thank you so much for your time. I appreciate each of you for reading.

Hi
It's a really difficult question really. Perceived weakness is how you feel about your body and how it's working, and it can be caused by so many things that it's not diagnostic. You can get perceived weakness with a virus. So trying to judge its relevance in als just doesn't work

Clinical weakness is clinically demonstrable, and really only your doctor can judge it.

The best thing to do is ask for input from your doctor, get everything checked thoroughly for peace of mind.

Wendy

My friend, you are asking questions no one knows the answer to, That is one of the hundreds if not thousands of unanswered question about ALS.
Al

Thank you for the replies

To elaborate on what I was asking, I just wanted to clarify that the reason that I asked the question that I did was because I read the sticky/pinned thread that stated that "ALS is about failing not feeling"

So in terms of my case, I want to know if the soreness/slight weak feeling in my right arm and leg was something that could be an initial symptom of ALS and develop to clinical weakness or be a sign of ALS despite me not failing to grip things, stumble etc at the moment.

The replies provided seems to indicate that no one knows, but then im confused as to why the phrase "ALS is about failing not feeling" was added to the post, if we arent sure if "feeling" (soreness/tiredness/odd feeling in arm or leg) could be an initial symptom that could lead to "failing" (stumbling, not being able to grip things etc.)

I know I may be rambling but im just concerned that this odd soreness/feeling/weakness in my arm and leg (feeling)(as described above) could be the initial stages despite not "failing".

Thank you

Ok
My experience was that I had developed a limp that I had not noticed. Other people were asking me if I had hurt my leg, I didn't even realise I was doing it. My leg/ foot felt totally normal. It turned out I had foot drop and couldn't go on tiptoe on that leg at all. I had some muscle spasms and cramp but no major pain and my leg did not feel fatigued heavy or tired. I had however fallen over a few times.

I developed fatigue aching and tiredness much much later on when I had lost a lot more function in the leg. So my experience is that the loss of function comes first and the aches and pains only arrive after the loss is very significant and the remaining working muscle is totally overstretched.

I hope this helps

Wendy

ALS is failing not feeling because you don't feel it happening, it just does.

My PALS didn't know he had a problem with his tongue until his speech was slurred.

He didn't know he had a problem with the muscles with his legs, his walking just changed.

There was no feeling weak or sore, they just didn't work.

While it is perceived weakness until the neurologist confirms clinical weakness the usual experience is what Wendy and Sooner have deacribed. It may be a small failure. My sister could not do up a button. That was her first symptom. I fell when stepping sideways because my first failure was a muscle that supported the ankle. Neither of us felt anything but normal and were surprised. The failure does not have to be, nor would it usually be, the failure or multiple muscles simultaneously but very localized and thus insidious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back