Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Sd
City
Huron
I am a 17 year old female. I have had blood tests that came out normal. I went to the ER the other day because I was not getting answers. He did my reflexes and did the babinski reflex. I am unsure of the results of either, he did however suggest I had MS and referred me to a neurologist. I am currently concerned with ALS. I twitch all over my body, but especially in my right leg. I have constant shortness of breath and extreme fatigue. I am losing weight quickly due to the fact that my appetite is nonexistent, I barely eat if at all. I have lost close to 10 lbs in a couple weeks. My left arm feels especially weak, and if I flex it a certain way my wrist muscle on the outside caves in. If you feel it there is obviously less muscle than in my right wrist. My arm has a dull ache a lot of the time. I am finding it a little bit more difficult and uncomfortable to use, holding a pop can even feels heavy. My voice is getting a little hoarse. My whole body feels weak. When I bend down, I shake. When I bend my knees, I shake. When I bend down my head sometimes I will shake. When I lift my arms up I don't, however when I move them down I shake. I sometimes get a burning sensation in my skin and tingling, but it's not servere. My legs get very tired just walking up and down the stairs. I feel like I have a ball of mucus stuck at the bottom of my throat and no matter how much I swallow it doesn't go away. I also noticed that sometimes when I am texting with my right hand my thumb will wig out and shake when put in a certain position. My left arm gets tired very very easily, even if it is just from texting. I am concerned and terrified. Does this sound like ALS to you? I see a neurologist in two days. Thank you. I have attached a photo of my wrist when I flex it.

Attachments

• IMG_5516.jpg
    IMG_5516.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 275
Hiya-

While your symptoms are concerning, it's very unlikely to be ALS. Your age, and the even spread of symptoms in a short period of time points towards something other than ALS. It's good you're getting to see a neurologist. They wil be able to see your pattern of symptoms and have that direct what they test you for.

Please let us know how your appointment goes.

I have had the muscle twitching for over a year, does that make a significant difference?

No, it really doesn't make a significant difference. Twitching is a symptom of so many different things. It would be like jumping straight to thinking you had lung cancer if you had a chronic cough.

It's good you're seeing a neuro- they'll be able to tell you their thoughts on what is causing your symptoms and order further testing, depending on their clinical assessment.

Okay, thank you very much. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back