View Single Post
Old 09-19-2004, 12:57 PM #9 (permalink)

bear2 is an unknown quantity at this point
bear2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,
I have been reading on this forum for about the last 2 months. My father has been diagnosed with ALS. It started with his speech but the progression has begun. It is such a terrible thing to have to watch someone who had been enjoying life to the fullest begin to gradually lose their strength. My dad is doing okay with it. He was depressed for some time but seems to be coping okay now. Sure he has days that are hard to handle but he doesn't complain very much. Maybe if he did we would know a bit more of how he is really feeling. Some days he says that he can't believe he is so sick when he feels so good. His biggest problem is eating and swallowing. He starts to cough and feels like he is choking. I just want to let you all know what an inspiration you all are on this forum: Al, Fisher, TBear, Carol - you guys are awesome! When I start to feel frustrated or down about the whole situation I come on this forum and read some of your posts. You are all so kind and supportive of each other. I hope someday that I am able to encourage someone else who needs help the same way you all do. I look forward to reading each of your postings and though I am new here and don't have the understanding or knowledge like you all do of this thing yet, I hope that you will all welcome me to your group - SUPPORT LIKE THIS IS ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL.
Hope to hear from you all,
Bear2