Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
Hi Everyone,

I would first like to commend everyone on this forum for their willingness to listen and respond, give advice, and for giving an honest answer where it is due. My heart goes out to anyone who is suffering from ALS and the caretakers whose loved ones are fighting. I grew up with my father, who was a doctor, but developed a brain tumor, which greatly limited his motor function on his left side as well as his cognition. It takes so much courage to be where you are today.

I am posting because I have been experiencing symptoms for about 5-6 weeks. I am a 24 year old caucasian female, currently in nursing school.
I have been a runner since I was a teenager, and completed my first marathon last year. However, in the last few months, exercise has been difficult for me, due to the fatigue and symptoms I am experiencing.

Other than a sluggish GI tract (slow motility) which limits my diet quite a bit, I have no documented health problems.

1. I started experiencing shaking in my hands and a ridiculous amount of fatigue that no amount of sleep can fix about 6 weeks ago.

2. I began twitching throughout my entire body, about 5 weeks ago. It has worsened in duration and frequency. I have had a couple of twitches that have been very visable to the eye (the whole muscle moves) but other than that, very difficult to notice but easy to feel. They are everywhere, but mainly in my legs and calves.

3. I have had persistent calf stiffness and cramping. It worsens at some points in the day, but is better at other times.

4. I feel like I am having some weakness in my Left (non dominant ) hand ,but nothing looks visable to the eye in terms of atrophy or dexterity (other than the shaking).

I have tried staying off of them, stretching, increasing my dietary intake of potassium, magnesium and calcium but nothing is making it better. I have not suffered from anxiety in the past but the past few months I do believe my anxiety has gone up since I have been having increasing symptoms. I had bloodwork drawn for nutrients, and they are all normal.

I guess my question is at this point, does this sound like a presentation to ALS to anyone? I know that only a neurologist and and EMG is for certain, but I would like to hear opinions. Also, I wanted to get an opinion of how long enough until I should go beyond my primary doc and get a referral to a neuro?

Thank you thank you to anyone who takes the time and reads this, and responds. I do realize it takes a lot to respond, and I very much appreciate your time and effort.

I don't know for SURE, but would bet that folks here will say to bring your concerns up to your family doctor. Better to get an opinion from a pro than from very helpful and caring strangers.

I would not jump ahead, but start with an internist who can assess the extent to which you have clinical weakness and/or any other neuromuscular signs and symptoms, and suggest next steps.

Best,
Laurie

Laurie,

Does this sound to you like it could possibly be ALS?

I would consider it very unlikely, kind of like #100 on the list of differentials. Go see an internist and you will know more than I or anyone else here could possibly know right now.

I am patiently waiting on an appointment but I am freaking out. I constantly find myself testing my reflexes, and deterity/coordination in my left hand. I think it has made my arm sore- I don't know why else I would be shaking with such a tremor PLUS have widespread twitching PLUS cramping in my calves. I am super scared.

Cramping

thank you all for your kind replys

Last edited:
Young, please stay on your original thread. Opening multiple threads makes it harder for people to follow and respond.

Testing yourself will not net you any further clues about your symptoms. You need to visit with a doctor. I recommend you stay away from here until you speak with a medical professional about your concerns.

With regards to your cramping: A month of cramping is not indicative of ALS. Assuming so would be like a person who had a headache and immediately thought brain tumour.

While no one is dismissing your concern or your symptoms, it's highly unlikely you have ALS. You really need to see a doctor in person and get a thorough physical exam. Hanging out here is not appropriate. Please come back after your appointment and report what your doctor concludes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back