Diagnosis
08/2015
Country
US
State
South
City
The Beach
I know I'm atypical when it comes to pain. I experience pain in all my muscles, even in my jaw and even in muscles still working well and with good strength.

Yesterday, the outdoor pool was 85 degrees. I walked down with my noodle (it's not a far walk.) I had no trouble getting in and out of the pool and spent about 30 minutes in the water. Most of the time I was just hanging on the noodle. For about 10 minutes I straddled the noodle and "Peddled" like you would on a bike. I did this thinking it would make me feel better. I felt absolutely no pain or discomfort doing this and I made sure my core muscles were giving me good posture. After that I spent about 2-3 minutes in neck deep water moving my arms around.

Then I climbed up the ladder and sat in the sun for about 15 minutes. I felt good and I slowly walked back to the condo.

Today it feels like I was run over by a truck. I haven't done any exercising for a couple of months because the pool water wasn't warm enough for me. I even developed a headache last night and it feels like the kind I used to get from overworking my neck while working out.

Honestly, I was very gentle on my body while in the pool. My body felt pretty normal while in the water. Even my sprained ankle felt better while in the water.

It's so frustrating to have this pain at this point, especially since I love the pool.

When this happens it is a signal that you overdid it. There is usually no warning while you were actually doing the activity, it happens later when you do not recover. The lesson to be learned is back off a little from what you did last time. This is where a scooter to drive to the pool instead of walk may be a good idea. Keep swimming
IMG_1455.jpg

That so sucks Kim. It would seem you overdid it, even though it seemed like you were doing so little. It may take a little while now til you can try that again, and as Kay suggests you need to do way less. In the meantime maybe you can just float in the water each day with the noodle?

Kim, I am really sorry to hear about your situation.

I know that when I am doing something that pushes the limit (even when it does not feel like I am), I am better off using all the assistive devices at my disposal.

In my case, that means using my wheelchair to get there. For me, it really does make a difference, even if the walk would have been short enough that I could have done it without the wheelchair.

I sure wish you a speedy recovery so that you can enjoy being in the pool again soon.

Steve

I got back on the horse today. I walked down and did about half the time. I also did it later in the day when the sun wasn't as strong. The pool is now 88. We'll see if I'm worse tomorrow. I do notice that the range of motion in my sprained ankle is coming back.

I don't think walking has anything to do with it. I think it's my back and how I bend over doing things around the condo. I need to use my pick up stick. On very short walks, my gait is almost back to normal. I think too much computer time and bending over to file things is probably making things worse. Also, I'm sleeping on a different bed while my room gets remodeled. I'm also doing a bunch of getting up and down from my chair during the day to observe the remodel and answer questions.

I'm also off my pain medication, except for one Tylenol and one Advil per day. Maybe some edibles will help. The last ones I tried made me feel much better but I got vertigo (very small dose of 5 mg THC.)

Hey everyone, thank you for the support. Going outside in the sun does wonders for my mood. Much better than the indoor pool.

Really glad you were able to enjoy the pool again!

Super report on your ankle doing better.

Steve

You go girl!

Oh Kim that's wonderful - definitely there is huge value in just getting outside. Do what ya gotta do yeah :)

Hi Kim, keep going a little every day. I took a week off from the pool as I had a stomach bug and the first day back was challenging. I am back to 3x per week and an hour each time. Lots of leg lifts and noodle work to keep range of motion and pain free. We are busy moving into our house that is finishing renovations and I have been walking more with my rollator. I noticed last night that my foot was bruising up again from when I broke the bone in January. I suspect that with the muscles atrophied there is more stress on bones, tendons, and ligaments. It is a delicate balance.

Thank you all so much for your encouragement.

Glad you were able to get back in the pool, Kim. I can still swim laps with a little rest between 100s, but if I try to increase speed or distance (I should know better) I suffer, usually the following day. Our indoor municipal pool stays around 82-83 unless there's a meet coming up when it's cooled to the upper 70s. I used to resent the older folks who wanted warmer temps, but no more. Thankfully there's a hot tub.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back