Diagnosis
12/2015
Country
US
State
New Jersey
City
West Orange
Just got my tube a couple weeks ago. I swallow some pills (although that seems to be going) and crush others and put them in via the tube. My question is, how do you make sure you're getting everything in? I seem to constantly have some residue either in the syringe, or the cup I use to mix everything. Am I doing something wrong? I've been using the plunger to make sure most goes in, but I don't want to be taking partial doses.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

As an aside, I have to laugh. After my post went up, there was an ad in it that says "5 FOODS NEVER TO EAT. (MEN ONLY)". I'm guessing that won't be a problem for me!

Make sure they are not on the "do not crush" list and what the dosing instructions are relative to food. Then depending on what works best, dissolve them in warm water first or soda, slurry them into a food blend thin enough to tube, etc.

You must flush afterwards with at least 60ml of plain water :)

Hi there twitcherama
I have a tube and take all my meds and vitamins by the tube, I bought a pill grinder on line for about fifty bucks and it has been very satisfactory for about a year now. Like Tillie says I just flush the tube with water, this gets everything into your stomach and helps to hydrate you. Never be afraid of using too much water, it's good for you.

Al

I noticed residue also. I find using really warm water added to the crushed meds helps them dissolve better, then after pulling it up into the syringe add a little more water to the cup to get the last bit and pull that up into the syringe, and then shaking the mixture well before putting it into the gtube. If there is residue in the syringe I just suck up more water and put that in the tube. Then flushing the tube with plain water at the end.

PS....I should have added, as firefighter mentioned a pill grinder, the meds need to be almost powder. We found that the inexpensive " pill crushers" did not grind them fine enough and have ended up using a mortar and pestle which works for us.

I put the pills in a "snack size" Ziplock bag and crush them with a pestle. Then I open the bag and pour the powder into warm water. I find this keeps clean up to a minimum and my fingers don't touch the medicine.

I also used a mortar and pestle, and I agree warm water not cold.

I never sucked anything up into the syringe, but with the syringe attached to the peg tube I tipped the meds (or formula or whatever) into the syringe.

Hope that helps, but do be sure the meds you are using can be crushed, and if there is a liquid form available it will make life easier!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back