Diagnosis
06/2013
Country
US
State
NY
City
Hudson Valley
Does anyone have experience with a female urinary catheter? Thanks, Kathy.

Hi Kathy,
I don't have expierence with female catheters but when my husband was in need of something more I found a urinal with a draining tube and bag that has worked very well. The company is Advantage Urinal Systems and they also make a couple of female versions. I don't know anyone who has used the female version but I thought I would mention it in case you want to check it out. Kate

Kate, I checked out the Advantage urinal system. My husband has no use of his arms. Does it require the ability of the PALS to position it for use or can it just be put in the proper position when he goes to bed and stay there?

Sharon

A suprapubic catheter (tube) drains urine from your bladder. It is inserted into your bladder through a small hole in your belly. This is an option to having traditional catheter, for women. From what I've read, the advantages are fewer infections and being able to get around with it (you have to empty the bag a few times a day.)

There are female urinals. So far, I haven't read too many long-term success stories but that would be my option if I had the use of my hands and arms. When they go, I would probably choose the suprapubic catheter.

Sharon, we started using this system when my husband could no longer use his arms. We position it in the wheelchair, recliner, and bed. It can be tricky as you need to have a slight downward slope for it to drain properly and had to eliminate the knee elevation in bed to accomplish that. Overall we find that it's so much easier to use than the alternatives. Kate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back