Diagnosis
10/2016
Country
US
State
OR
City
Hillsboro
Today I fell. I was at PT doing sit to stands with a medicine ball and I asked my pt to remove one of the foam cushions to make it just a bit more challenging. I was feeling great, strong and we'll rested since starting to use the AVAP. Then it happened. I fell forward on my knees with my left foot curling under me as I felt and heard this awful crunching sound.

They don't think I broke anything, just really badly sprained it but now it is super swollen, painful and I can't put any weight on it.

I am so mad at myself for not being more careful. Hopefully this will recover quickly.

I am so very sorry for the fall and your leg. Please don't be to hard on yourself. I fractured a disk in my back and I don't have ALS. You didn't think you were doing something that would hurt you. Yes, the golden rule is not to fall and I am sure you will be more careful in the future. I hope your foot feels better soon.

I am so very sorry to hear of your fall, especially under the supervision of a PT.

Regardless of what you request, it is the PT's responsibility to make sure you are safe. There are ways to exercise without exposing you to the risk of falling. Accidents happen, but this one is on the PT, not you. If your PT does not acknowledge this and work to prevent it in the future, get a different PT!

The loss of mobility while we recover from ankle damage really sucks!

Here's hoping for a quick recovery.

Steve

So sorry about the fall - does this PT understand how to look after someone with ALS? If this PT is trying to help you build up muscles .... :(

Mt PT is working with my ALS clinic PT's. There is also a pt on staff at my gym that used to work in an ALS clinic in CA. Not building muscle, focus is on maintaining range of motion, improving balance skills and flexibility.

I so hope the sprain heals quickly xxx

Ouch! Here's hoping for a speedy recovery!

Any fall hurts and is dangerous, we all do it and then beat ourselves up for knowing better. It is a danger to all of us and must be more careful.
Al

I completely understand. I'm still suffering from a badly sprained ankle that happened in September on my "good leg." I just got back a tiny amount of lateral range of motion in it. The worst part was that it caused my bad leg and weak back to work harder so my pain level got bad again. My fall was all on me. I was trying to do something and should have been more careful.

I have to question the PT on this one, too. I hurt my back on a medicine ball years ago. At the time I was a surfer and runner. I was in excellent shape.

I'm curious about what they are doing for your ankle after the swelling goes down. Don't try to put much pressure on it. That was my mistake. I started using it way too soon and made it worse.

KW, so sorry to hear of your injury. I agree with Steve, shame on the PT. After watching many " professionals" work with my husband for the past 3 years I take what most of them say with a grain a salt, especially those who have already shown an error in judgement. I would want a doctor to determine the extent of the injury. Hope you heal quickly.

Anyone can make a mistake, however it seems to me the PT was negligent. They should always be spotting you because we are major fall risks.

So sorry you had a fall and hope you are able to recover and get back close to what you were.

I am icing and elevating. To be honest my PT was trying to get me to do the sit to stands from a higher height and I kept telling her I could do it from a lower level. She is very conscientous. I am sure she feels terrible. This one was very much me trying to be an over achiever.

KW, I'm so sorry about your fall!

I have to agree that your PT should have been spotting you. Period. If they are not going to be hands on, why go?

I hope you heal quickly.

Becky

Interesting. I went to the ER today as the swelling was getting worse, and my doctor's office was closed due to the snow. My metatarsal bones were okay but I had a vertical fracture in my big toe bone. The doctor said my x-rays showed osteoporosis in my bones which was a surprise as I had a bone scan 18 mos ago and my bones were excellent. Apparently as he explained when the muscles atrophy from ALS you lose calcium from you bones and they become more brittle. The foot I injured was my weaker foot. This makes it all the more important to not fall.

KW, I'm sorry you fell and hurt yourself. I know what exercise you did, and it brought back a bad memory for me.

I was not diagnosed with ALS yet, and had a difficult time with this balancing exercise. I tried so hard to get up, but rarely could I do it. The last time I was with my PT. I cried because I felt like such a failure. I don't cry very easily, so this was traumatic for me. I stopped going as I did not want to feel this way again, and I was diagnosed about a month later.

Be careful.

Hugs,
Deb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back