Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Alexandria
This is most likely an impossible question to answer. However, when you find yourself in the flat position on the floor, are there any tricks or hints to getting yourself on your feet again? I fell this morning, and luckily no injury. However, my husband and I had a hard time figuring out how to get me up. We managed to get me in a sitting position, but from there it was a challenge. He could certainly put his arms under my armpits and lift, but that is too painful. Luckily, we were near the stairs going down, so I scooted myself to the edge and put my feet on the second step down. I grabbed the railing with one hand and Larry's arm with the other. It worked. I was standing on the stair.

If the stairs had not been there, I'm not sure what we would have done. Are there any tricks or hints people have, other than calling 911?

Bill

Oh Bill, I'm sorry but so glad Larry was there and you figured out how to use the stairs. Do you have a Hoyer lift available? It seems like the only option is a lift that will go to the ground.

Glad you didn't get hurt.

You can try using a chair - drape yourself over the chair, then see if you can get your feet under you to stand.

Do you have a hoyer that can pick you up from the floor?

You realise you could have toppled right down those stairs?

Calling 911 is possibly your best option - don't risk your husband injuring himself to pick you up. What will you both do if he is out of action?

However, I would beg you to start using equipment of some kind to PREVENT falling. I have been well known for pleading with PALS to consider safety before any other reasons they give to keep taking high risks.

Falls kill PALS way too often, but they also injure, often severely, and often speed up progression. Injuries can reduce your quality of life for the rest of your life - Kim and her ankle injury are a good example.

Thanks for the reminder, Tillie

I'm still mad at myself for carrying huge bags of groceries and walking fast out to my car. Didn't even see the slope....but I sure felt it. I'm beginning to get some range of motion back in that ankle but at the expense of my back and bad ankle.

I'm not sure what causes it but I still do things I shouldn't. I know when I'm doing it that I'm taking a risk.

Sure don't mean it to point you out Kim, but at least if your plight with your ankle can serve to prevent others doing the same ...

About the time that Krissy had pretty much lost all useful strength in her arms and legs, I was still transferring her "the easy way" just by picking her up in my arms and sitting her down. Why bother with setting up the sling and the lift if you can just pick her up, right? Wrong. When I had gathered her up from the hospital bed into my arms, dragging her feet on the floor and walking slowly backward to deposit her in her wheelchair, I tripped.

We went down somewhat slower than usual because I was trying to slow our fall and not lose my grip on her. We hit the ground like twin statues, embraced like lovers on the carpet. I kept my right hand under her left ear to keep her head and breathing tube in a straight line. I called 911 with my left hand. We lay there rubbing Eskimo noses and giggling until the EMTs arrived.

They are really big men.

They listened patiently to my little briefing on paralysis and the windpipe. Then whoosh! Instantly I found myself standing and Krissy was in her chair properly.

After that, we started using the lift.

1. Lifting a person who can help to some extent can be made easier using a gait belt. With the belt around the waist it provides a good place to grab and lift rather than pulling on an arm, clothing, or using a bear hug.
2. Another way to make the task easier is to place a low footstool in reach, then lift the person to a sitting position and put the footstool behind him or her. Using a gait belt or a bear hug from behind and whatever arm strength the person has to boost himself, move up onto the footstool. Repeat the process moving to a chair or to a higher stool and then a chair.
3. Place a simple kitchen chair next to someone unable to get up from the floor. The best chair is one with a flat back. A high back is ideal for someone with neck weakness. A chair with a curved back is harder to slide onto and knobby spindles are uncomfortable. After checking for broken arms, legs, or shoulder, hip or neck pain, turn the person on his back. Place the chair on its back along side of him. Lifting with your legs so you don't hurt your back, slide and lift him on to the chair so he is in a sitting position but on his back on the chair. A strong person can then lift the chair upright. If the fallen person is "floppy" you will need and extra person to keep him from falling off the chair.

Oh Mike,

You had such a romantic loving relationship with Krissy, I love how you laid there with her rubbing noses, My husband is very loving with me too.

We called 911 for the fall I had, and I ended up with a sprained ankle too. The paramedics informed me to call them if I fall again because they can help get me up rather than having my husband injure himself. We, also, have a strong neighbor, who works at home, who said to contact him if I fall. I won't do that, though, I might injure him. So calling 911 is the best option, or, if possible (and it was not for me when I fell) using a Hoyer lift.

Hugs,
Deb

About the time that Krissy had pretty much lost all useful strength in her arms and legs, I was still transferring her "the easy way" just by picking her up in my arms and sitting her down. Why bother with setting up the sling and the lift if you can just pick her up, right? Wrong. When I had gathered her up from the hospital bed into my arms, dragging her feet on the floor and walking slowly backward to deposit her in her wheelchair, I tripped.

We went down somewhat slower than usual because I was trying to slow our fall and not lose my grip on her. We hit the ground like twin statues, embraced like lovers on the carpet. I kept my right hand under her left ear to keep her head and breathing tube in a straight line. I called 911 with my left hand. We lay there rubbing Eskimo noses and giggling until the EMTs arrived.

They are really big men.

They listened patiently to my little briefing on paralysis and the windpipe. Then whoosh! Instantly I found myself standing and Krissy was in her chair properly.

After that, we started using the lift.

Mike, Every time you share something about Krissy, I end up sobbing and just admiring your beautiful way of describing what all of us fears.

We were able to prevent many falls with a Grip-n-Assist transfer belt...it's a souped up gait belt with handles that the helper can really hold on to. It may help to get someone up off the floor although we never used it that way. My husband is 6'4" and I am 5'7 and it enabled me to help balance him, help him get out of his recliner, and do pivot transfers.

Adding to the ottoman idea: a low end table, a foam cube footrest, anything low and portable. Even an ad hoc pile of clothes or boxes.

And if you have a rollator, of course, Larry could wheel it over, lower it as far as it goes, lock the brakes.

Sorry about your fall, Bill. The safest way for you and Larry to get you up off the floor is using the Hoyer lift. I would recommend getting one and learning how to use it now. You do not want to risk hurting your partner.

Falls suck!

Hi all, do nor be afraid to call 911 or if you do not have 911 service call your local Fire Dept. We don't mind at all, as a matter of fact some folks I got to know personally, we were there so often. All in a days work.

No doubt, most will ultimately need a Hoyer, and, if alone, should have a phone or button to call 911 on hand.

Thanks for all the comments and guidance. One thing to keep in mind is that we are two men -- we never ask for directions when we are lost, never read instructions with new products, can fix everything with duct tape, and now you want us to think safety first? That's a big order! <huge grin>. I know it's a lame excuse, but Larry was outside with the dogs letting them pee and was not getting my texts. I had taken a laxative that night and had an urgent need for the toilet, even without his help. I'm really surprised the fall didn't result in a mess. I will try to remember: safety first.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back