Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
California
City
Newark
Hello Folks, I am very anxious that I have some of the symptoms for ALS. By the way my father's cousin passed away from ALS. Last Sunday I was walking looking a x-mas lights and my leg felt weak like it lost power. I was still able to walk but it just felt funny. There was also twitching going on after this happened. Yesterday my shoulders and arms felt weak and heavy and I also got muscle twitches with them too. I am still able to pick things up and use my hands and arms but it just feels funny and weak/heavy. I am afraid that this will progress. I am an anxious person as well. I have a Dr apt today in the morning, I am very nervous n anxious.

Please read the sticky at the top of the forum Do I have ALS? ALS does not feel weak it just is weak. Go pour yourself a good strong drink and enjoy the holidays. That's what I'm doing...............
Vincent

Vincent is spot on. I always say when I see the word "feels" in a post, particularly multiple times I always think "not ALS". Good you are seeing your Doctor so s/he can help you sort it out.

I went to see my doctor yesterday. He got on the phone with a neurologist and we went through my symptoms I was having. He said it does not sound like ALS. I am still a little worried. No tests were done and it seemed like my doctor and the neurologist didn't want to waste their time doing one or setting up an apt for an EMG. I know you guys are saying that when people put "they feel" it is automatically not ALS. Everybody is different right? Also there is a doctor online saying that it can just start off as feeling weak in a limb and it progresses to a point when you can't pick up objects or walk. Still somewhat worried and I am still feeling some weakness. Thanks for the reply guys. It is tough seeing human beings going through this and I watched an uncle of mine slowly die from it. It is unfortunate that there is no cure. It really upsets me that there is not much this world can do about it. I hope ya'll have a wonderful Christmas.

Feeling and failing really are two different things. I dare say that if you haven't experienced failing then you really can't understand it. My husband doesn't feel weak, he is weak in that what his brain tells his hands to what do, they just don't do. ALS only affects the motor neurons not the sensory neurons, so no 'feelings'.

If your doc examined you and consulted with a neurologist you are good to go. They didn't order any other tests because they are expensive, invasive and unnecessary. Go and enjoy your long life.

All the Best,

Tracy

Leg and arm twitching

So I know a few weeks ago I posted about concerns about the symptoms, I went to my doctor, we called a neurologist and he said my symptoms do not sound like ALS. Recently, my right upper thigh started twitching all day today and then my shoulders. I don't have any weakness like I had a week ago but the twitches are getting annoying and worrying me. For the last few days my cervical spine started to hurt and feel like its getting worse. I read also that ALS doesn't just have to start out with clinical weakness but can be different for anybody. Some get twitches first and then others will have pain as well. I am still concerned and a little upset that my doctor and the Neurologist didn't want to really do the EMG test on me.

Newark, please stay in this thread. Don't create new threads. This will keep your history all together and make it easier for people to understand your issues.

If I understand correctly, two medical professionals consulted and determined that the best course of action did not match what you thought would be needed.

You said "everybody is different" but that's not quite exactly right. There are many ways that people present their ALS, but your description isn't one of them.

It's very likely that your mind is quite worried about ALS--and that's very understandable--so now your brain is triggering "ALS?" often. Most likely your symptoms are being caused by anxiety. But I'm not a doctor. If you are still concerned, please ask your doctor about it, or get a new doctor that you trust.

Last edited:
So, when we get folks who post this kind of response, it puts us in a difficult position. We have been supportive and encouraging, but when two docs don't see a need for expensive tests and follow ups and several members with personal experience with ALS say that they don't see ALS symptoms in your description, then what else is it that you want from strangers on-line?

Everyone on this site would love to be told that there is no reason for further tests, and yet you are focusing on very non-specific symptoms --twitching and pain--and have convinced yourself that you have a fatal disease. You can see that there is not much for us to say and we aren't going to debate things you might read elsewhere. So to repeat, twitching is common and not diagnostic for ALS, clinical weakness is the hallmark of ALS and if your docs didn't note clinical weakness, you don't have it. Failing not feeling is our official position. It is time for you to move on.

Best wishes.
Tracy

Hey folks, I hope everyone is doing well. I did go to another doctor for a 2nd opinion and he did some strength tests with me. They were all normal, he said he sees good muscle tone and thinks it's just my stress and anxiety. He said if I do start noticing atrophy or muscle wasting and weakness by not being able to use a limb for like simple tasks, then thats when I should come back and be referred to a neurologist. I told him that my twitching feels like they getting worse and spreading. Yesterday my calfs kept twitching and again today and now my arms and thumb are starting to twitch. I am a little bit relieved that 2 doctors and a neurologist over the phone said there's no concern of ALS. But when I keep feeling these twitches it just makes me more anxious and worried. I apologize for coming on here and posting my worries and concerns about this awful disease. I hope all who are suffering from this disease can get a cure and hopefully they can start finding some more medicine to help reverse this thing! I pray for those who have passed and who are currently suffering. May the lord give them strength. Thanks guys. God bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back