Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
NY
City
NYC
Hello
My mother passed away from ALS in April 2013. Ever since she passed I have always wondered if I will be next.
There is no know history in the family of ALS. I am 49 years old and for the last week or a little over my body is twitching all over. First on my left arm and now my right leg. I have never had twitches so persistent. I don't feel weak nor I see any difference on my body.
I am hypersensitive because I cared for my sweet mother and I saw how horrible this is. I am going crazy reading about it in the internet which i know is not a good idea. That is how I found the this forum. These twitches have made me so anxious and it's really affecting me. I am crying all the time walking around as if I am going to die soon. I know we all have to die but I hope not from ALS. I AM probably making myself worst. I am so scared. I just want to vent. I called my doctor and he did not worry about it and told me to go to the gym. I called my moms ALS doctor and made an appointment to see him.
I welcome any feedback.
Thank you.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

However you have as much chance of being diagnosed with ALS as I do, and I lost my husband.

If it was FALS you would know, you would have seen many family members pass from this, truly.

Please read the sticky post for this section. I am sorry about your mom but as Tillie and the sticky both say one relative does not FALS make. My FALS family history is pretty typical. In my lifetime I have lost my mom and 3 of her sibings and my sister

When you are cleared of ALS by the neuro ask your pcp for help dealing with your fear and anxiety. Do not let your mom's ALS ruin the rest of your life

Thank you for the replies.
I am also sorry for your losses. ALS is devastating.
I will seek help for my anxiety and hope and pray that the neurologist will clear me from ALS.
I just want my twitches to go away.

They will, Jose, if you tell them to, presuming you are not ill, and perhaps channel your grief and anger into helping those less fortunate in some way. I'm sorry for your loss.

Best,
Laurie

Everyone enduring this illness is a true hero in my eyes. As scare as I am I will try to relax until I see a neurologist. I went to see my regular doctor today because I could not handle the twitching on my leg. He says that I need to see the neurologist for peace of mind but he does not believe is ALS but he also did not want to mislead me. He too like all of you recommended that I see a therapist after I see the neurologist to help me deal with the fear of ALS. He was supporting in understanding my fears. He believes that the chances of me getting ALS are very slim since there is no know history in my family besides my mom of having ALS.
Thank you all for your replies and for understanding this neurotic and possibly hypochondriac person.

Great plan! Good for you and your pcp. Best of luck.

Good morning everyone
I hope you all had a good weekend.
It has been a rough weekend for me trying to go about my day not paying attention to the twitching now on my leg. It is very scary. I had good workouts but as soon as I feel the twitch I get sad and depressed. I have spent my entire weekend trying to figure out what could it be.
Once again, thank you all for reading my thread.

Stop posting here and stop looking for answers on the internet. That will go a long way to helping you control your emotions. Work with your PCP. Truly, and I am trying to say this in the kindest way possible, twitching after a 'good workout' is so far from ALS that it is insulting to folks who are using eye gaze to participate in this forum and for those of us who are chronically sleep deprived and exhausted from caring for those dying of ALS. I understand your fear, having watched your mother, but truly, you seem to lack empathy for those who are still in the midst of this battle. You do not have ALS and you need to work with your pcp and move on from this site.
Tracy

It's a twitch. Period, full stop.
Nothing more.

I'd trade you in a heartbeat.

Get over it.

I am sorry if my postings are insulting. That is not my intention at all.
I am most sympathetic to everyone with ALS. My heart goes out to everyone with ALS.
My twitching is not from after a work out. I woke up one day twitching about a week or so ago and it has not stopped. It has moved from my arm to now my leg. Fear of the unknown can be hard for anyone at least for me it is.
I am sorry. I did not mean insult anyone.

I am sorry If i made it seem as though my twitching was from working out. That's is not the case at all.
Once again I am really sorry.

Twitching means nothing.

Let's try again:

Twitching means nothing.

N one asked why you're twitching.
It doesn't matter.

Twitching means nothing.

Are you seeing the pattern here?

Twitching means nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back