Diagnosis
08/2015
Country
US
State
South
City
The Beach
I've been in so much pain lately, I haven't started using my Trilogy. I have to start it today. I'm going to use the settings that we set up several months ago (when I got it). The RT was here last week and went through the instructions briefly. It has been plugged in. I know how to connect the hoses and fill the humidifier with distilled water, then place the nose pillows on and start it up. He told me to start using it for 10 minutes during the day, then increase until I thought I could sleep with it.

CLEANING IT?
I know there is a little sponge thing in back that should be rinsed out once a week and the humidifier should be washed with soapy water once a week. How about the hoses? He didn't say anything about them. He did say to change the water every 2 days if I'm not using the water up.

Praying for pain relief soon. My core is what is causing the most distress. I hoped that my good leg's sprained ankle would heal but so far it isn't.

Medical marijuana passed in Florida. I already got some lollipops from a PALS who passed away. I hate to increase the Oxy but if it a choice between agony and risking respiratory arrest, I'm getting rid of the pain.

You should clean the tubing once a week with soap and water or vinegar and water. Don't forget to change the bacterial filter weekly as well.

He didn't show me any bacterial filter. I thought I should clean the tubing. I'll have to look for the bacterial filter. The only filter he told me about was the little one in back that looks like s small sponge. He said to rinse it once a week.

I also was never told anything about cleaning a filter on the Trilogy and would appreciate more information about this, considering that we have been using it for over 1 year. The respiratory tech who comes monthly does nothing except change out the computer card.

Sharon

The bacterial filter is the plastic part that you connect to the BiPAP on one end and tubing on the other end. If you are using a humidifier, you have one end of the tube connected to the humidifier and the other end connected to the bacterial filter. You should have received several filters and should throw out the used filter each week. You may want to check with your respiratory therapist about that. I'm just telling you with our therapist told us to do.

Just a couple of basics [trached people have more stringent requirements]:

Only use distilled water. And then emptying each day is not necessary unless you see gunk/white residue, more like once a week. I don't believe in vinegar other than once in a blue moon as it's irritating. YMMV.

The bacteria filter (the one you can insert between the hose and the machine) is optional unless the person is trached or ill. Some with allergies find it helpful, so a PALS certainly might. Always worth a try if you have issues. But a dirty one does more harm than good, so if you have it, have stock on hand.

The air inlet filter should be inspected every couple of weeks depending on your setting/rinsed/ or de-clogged manually/pat dried when it's clogged, and replaced every 6 mos. Make sure you are using one designed for this; cheaper ones might require more frequent replacement.

Thanks for the information, Laurie. Now I am even more worried because Frank has a trach and the bacteria filter has never been changed and he has used it for over 1 year. We were only told not to wash that piece, to clean the humidifier reservoir every other day and to change the circuit tubing every 2 weeks.
Can you tell me where the air inlet filter is?

Sharon

Sharon, I've yet to use mine because of the filter issue. I'm going to see if I can access an online manual and order some bacterial filters because I'm chemically sensitive and this might help me. I've been putting off reading manuals because everything hit me at once.

ALSA should pay Laurie. She has been more value to me than everyone at clinic combined.

Here is the cleaning portion for the Trilogy 100. Some of it is intended for institutional or preparing it for a new patient but, after reading it, I know I was not told the correct way or even what to clean. I need to re-read it and then find out where I can buy some bacterial filters.

Attachments

• Trilogy 100 Cleaning.pdf
    908.7 KB · Views: 3,864
Last edited:
Thanks, Kim. I was able to clean the air inlet filter for the first time since we got the Trilogy 1 year ago thanks to the cleaning instructions. I was never provided any filters or even told that there was a filter that needed to be changed.

When the RT first came to evaluate our home prior to getting the Trilogy she looked at the outlets in the house and checked that I had a small fire extinguisher in the house. Very odd how this was felt to be important but instructing me about cleaning the unit or changing/cleaning filters was unimportant! The RT also had no clue about the proper settings and we struggled for 6 months trying to use the Trilogy without success until Laurie helped us. I totally agree that Laurie should be paid by the ALSA.

Sharon

You guys are too kind. I wish!

As a reminder, I have the full clinical manuals for the 100 and 200 as needed but prefer to advise on adjustments 1:1 since everyone's different.

As far as the cleaning instructions, hydrogen peroxide and what-not is more likely to irritate or get into the wrong place than help. Since people here are getting care at home, and not reusing equipment, it doesn't make sense to me to clean with something that you have to completely rinse away for safety's sake.

I lean toward a warm water rinse and/or soak, with dish soap, diluted vinegar or baking soda, depending on what we're washing.

Sharon, apart from checking the bacterial filter (if there is one) to make sure it's clean, if Frank is doing well, I wouldn't worry. How you take care of him to minimize pathogens is the key, and obviously you're doing it right.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back