Diagnosis
09/2016
Country
US
State
WA
City
Shelton
I'm not a "Potty Animal" any more since I started taking Miralax every day, but I've morphed into the "Gas Bag". My stomach area seems to be in a constant uproar! I get awakened in the middle of the night with a BUB-BUB-Bub-Bub-bub-bubble sound (and feeling!) chasing itself from one side of my abdomen to the other. Then a Gurgle-Gurgle-gurgle-gurgle combination travels in the other direction. Mix in a blip-blip-blip-blip feeling in a stationary spot, and the always popular general rumbling, grumbling, and g-rrr-owling, and the concert ensues.

It seems like the constant bubbling is a direct result of the laxative use. (Well, duh!) But I'm not used to laxatives. Is there some happy medium between none and daily use? Any suggestions? Other than going cold-turkey? (As bad as the gas-bag phenomenon and increased number of short bathroom visits are, it's better than spending a couple of hours at a time in the bathroom.)

Regards,
Ed

My PCP advised me that if you use Miralax or a like product you can titrate up or down the amount you use so that every thing works "normally."

Ken

I find that Miralax gives me gas but Docusate doesn't. I don't get the symphony with Miralax you do, just unwelcome surprises when what I thought was just "passing wind" turns out to have been more than just a breeze and carried a small s#&t storm with it! You can adjust the dose as needed and it can take a while to find out how much lands you in that happy space between extremes: Only once a day or two, but easy.

I use Smooth Move tea at night. I find, however, that if I have a whole mug of it (through my tube) I will have about 4-5 movements the next day. So i only take half a mug (4 oz) and then I have just 2 poops. And in my case, it doesn't generate gas. Bill

I have had the same problem with Miralax until I cut down on the dose. Made me remember the movie 'The Bucket List', when Edward counsels Carter:
Three things to remember when you get older: never pass up a bathroom, never waste a hard-on, and never trust a fart.
Carter: I'll keep that in mind as I approach decrepitude.

If you can swallow, the absolute best thing to take is about 2 teaspoons of pure psyllium mixed with water first thing in the morning and drink about 12 ounces of water after. It will make you regular. My gastro told me to get off Miralax. I take Konsyl because it's pure with no other ingredients. It has been a miracle for me. Never any constipation, never any diarrhea. You just have to make sure you can swallow it fast after you add it to water or it will be too thick and make sure you chase it with a glass of water after. I also take magnesium every day and that helps with cramps and supplements the psyllium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back