Reason
Friend was DX
Country
RSA
State
Kwa Zulu Natal
City
Scottburgh
Hi all. I have just registered with this Forum. My very special friend Marie was diagnosed with MND in December 2015 and is now PEG fed. She cannot eat, drink or talk. Please if anyone has some PEG recipes so that we can give her more nourishing meals I would be so very grateful and she is losing weigh at an alarming rate. This is a terrible, terrible disease. Thanking you all so much and I pray for strength for each and everyone of you wonderful people xx

Thank you so much for this information. the Tracy's Power Blend looks like a truly wonderful idea and we are definitely going to give it a go xx

My husband recently started on Gtube feedings and is on a commercial brand. I, too, want to make blenderized food for him and have been searching the internet for guidance and recipes. One site that has been helpful is foodfortubies.org . I haven't tried any of the recipes yet as his gtube seems to be too small and is blocking with just the commercial feed.

Kate have you tried

* shaking really really well as some do separate a bit in storage
* tried watering it down just a little bit
* making it just slightly warm

Might help stop it clogging.

I invented Tracy's power blend...and just so you know...with a good blender, you can liquefy the food you are eating. That's what we did...she couldn't stomach the formulas that you buy...so I just pureed whatever I was cooking for regular meals. I have a BlendTec blender...awesome product. It will liquefy whatever you put into it. I used it many times daily. Find high calorie things to add to the blends. Your PALS will like burping after real food too...next best thing when you cant eat, still get a taste!!

tc

Thank you tc. Will be going to try your blend hopefully today

I think the blendtec is the key - it seems to be the most superior blender and allows you to put anything at all down the tube, just like TC says.

What I did at mealtimes...I would acutally make Tracy a plate. That gave me an idea of volume as I knew about what she usually ate. Then into the blender it went... you can be creative at that point too...lots of high calorie powders out there...carnation, nestle...etc. then added iced tea or water or milk or juice to achieve the consistency required to pass thru the peg. You, the chef, kinda have to have a strong stomach...seeing it all just pureed takes some getting used to...but it works....and it is real food, not formula. I couldn't see how that wouldn't be better. Definitely better for attitude too...getting to eat food...in my opinion only.

tc

Kate, if you husband has the new ENfit connector system, that is the problem with formula clogging. The whole ENfit thing is just a nightmare (IMO). If this is the case, you can still get the old style connectors for the button type pegs. If he has the long tube, and its not a balloon, you can pull off the port adapter, (or cut it off) and either just push the end of syringe into the long tube end, or buy a classic port and put it onto the tubing end. I don't think you can mess with it if its a balloon type peg though. There is a guy I know via the Oley forum who does all kinds of adapting. There is a link on my blog to him under the Make Things Easier section (His name is Sanford) or you can message me and I'll look up his information. I don't really want to post his email publicly here). He knows a lot about long tubes. He's a cancer survivor though, not a PALS or CALS.

I agree with Affected I have the blend tec, and use it every single day. I don't know how it truly compares with a vitamix, people get their loyalties, if you know what I mean. Some swear by the Vitamix. But, you do need the power of one of these, whatever brand you choose, to truly convert table food to blended meals.

Warming liquids help thin them, and when you're blending, keep blending until you don't see particles, or the particles you do see will fit through a strainer (not a tea strainer, one that has holes just smaller than the opening through the tube) Shaking midways through the meal helps.

Milk and dairy really foam though, you can wait it out, or try hand stirring it in last.

Here is a recipe that doesn't need a blender, so bubbles aren't an issue. It comes to about 13 ounces/384ml, and has 530 calories. I listed brands for some ingredients, because calories do vary in some foods.

Start with whole milk,(150 kcal) add a protein powder to it that dissolves easily. (I use Jay Robb Protein Isololate, but, it lumps a little with just stirring. I mix it at night, and it sets in the fridge until morning, and I add hot coffee to it, no lumps then) However, Reserveage Grass Fed Whey vanilla (120 kcal) stirs in like a dream. Add a tablespoon of Nature's Way coconut oil warmed enough to be in liquid form, (130 kcal) and 1/2 cup Farmer's Market Organic Sweet Potato Puree (130 kcal). The sweet potato will settle if it sets too long, but shaking will bring it back together. Applesauce stirs in nicely too, but has only about a third the calories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back