Diagnosis
09/2016
Country
US
State
WA
City
Shelton
I think my body heard someone from Boston inviting people to a party -- and heard "potty" and decided to go with that. I spent probably close to 5 hours on the toilet Saturday, and then another couple of hours there Sunday. NOT fun! My rump was raw, and my legs were sore from trying to get up so often -- but my wife mostly had to help me up after a while 'cause my legs just gave out. (Getting up from the toilet has been more problematic in the last few days anyway.)

This is a feature of ALS I am NOT looking forward to for the next year or two (if it continues). I'm definitely back on prune juice (for 2 days now), and switching to a store laxative (forget which one) right away. Today it's much better, only two trips to the pot this morning, for maybe 20 minutes total. Yay! I am SO glad we decided some time back to get a toilet seat bidet, but after so many washes even the water jets were taking off skin.

Warning: gross(er) details ahead. See, my bowel muscles weren't strong enough to move the three-or-four-day backup more than a half-inch or so, before that became an insurmountable plug (I think). Cleaning off the plug immediately started the pump again -- for another half-inch or so. So I just couldn't get up! Every time I thought I was done, the next urge would start. Meanwhile my legs were going to sleep and my feet were getting even more swollen than they had been.

Well, enough grossness for one message. Apologies to all, but I had to tell someone, and you people got "lucky". :)

Regards,
Ed

Well done Ed, dont take no schit, give'em hell. - Pat

Good job, Ed. Ya gotta keep a sense of humor. Potty threads are actually fairly popular here, so keep up the good work.

NO $HIT! Ed. Good thread good job! Love ya man chally

What a $hitty, but necessary topic. I had the same thing happen when I forgot to take my coconut oil capsules. The problem was we had company over and people knocked on the bathroom door asking if I was okay. I'm glad we have two other bathrooms. Company left, and I was still in the bathroom. Pain in the as$.

Hugs,
Deb

Couple times, I had to go in and get 'em. Thankfully, we had gloves.

5 hrs. Yikes! So I started having bad abdominal cramps with the bm's last week which was causing some constipation but I just got a squatty potty which seems to help. Also I find a cup of tea with 2 tsp of xylitol sweetener gets things moving pretty darn fast for me. I also am having trouble getting up but find if I slide a hand under my butt on the edge of the seat and push while I stand I can make it up.

Couple times, I had to go in and get 'em. Thankfully, we had gloves.

We have found a step between sitting forever trying to go and having to go in and get ‘em. In addition to a hot drink or warm one through the feeding tube, and positioning with the knees up a little above the hips, we have found that simply applying pressure at spots around the anus gets things moving. It is uncomfortable if you are really blocked but less so than going in to remove the blockage. Still have to keep gloves on hand but it isn't quite as bad as manual removal! Of course, the best thing is prevention with plenty of water and Dulcolax or Miralax daily. But SOMEONE has to remember to buy the stuff before you go five days without any stool softener and everything turns to concrete! :-x

You should consider getting a bidet.

Mine was most helpful when I was constipated; consider a as a water-pic for your butt.

Maybe I can Just try a water pic, and save a few pennies? I know dont use floss, not my 1st rodeo

The things I do for poo - Pat

And I just thought it was me. Yesterday was day three and I was in panic mode thinking I'm going to have to take things into my own hands. Instead I drank a cup of Smooth Move tea and started praying the rosary. Lo and behold, this morning at 4:00 relief came. And it came four more times. Maybe half a cup of tea will do the trick. Glad to hear in the future I should not hesitate to grab that bull by the horns and wrestle him out. I appreciate this forum more and more every day.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back