State: ON
Interest: My wife lost her battle with ALS in 2001
TBear is an unknown quantity at this point
City: Uxpatch
State: ON
Interest: My wife lost her battle with ALS in 2001
TBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Andrew:

It's a lot to swallow in a relatively short period of time. You'll receive as much information as you need here. There are many of us who are going through or have already dealt with ALS.

You are correct in that ALS is diagnosed by eliminating everything else, but if your dad has been positively diagnosed by 2 neurologists the next step is to find an ALS clinic close to home. Your neurologist should have an idea on where that is and your dad should make sure that he gets referred there by the time he leaves the office for the next visit.

The clinic will do testing and likely prescribe appropriate drugs. Currently I believe that the only one used specifically for slowing down the spread of symptoms is Riluzol.

As far as help is concerned, if the ALS diagnosis is positive, get onto your dad's family physician and start the process of getting an Occupational Therapist on line and, when needed home care/ attendant care.

My wife passed away from ALS complications over 3 years ago and she stayed at home with us for the entire thing (almost 4 years). Whether you keep him at home or off-site care is something that you will have to decide with him if the work load becomes onerous.

There have been studies done by clinicians on depression associated with ALS, and I can't imagine why people wouldn't have some depression if either suffering from or dealing with ALS. We've all developed strategies individually for dealing with ALS. You'll likely do the same.

Good luck... sorry that your dad has been affected... keep in touch.

T.