Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
US
State
NY
City
Queensbury
My mom is having trouble finding a good position to sleep in. She finds that sleeping on her side works the best but it hurts her shoulder quite badly, she also needs to have her head elevated, stacked pillows doesn't do it for her and the ALS center suggested bed wedges but I doubt that will work for her as my dad has one and ends up sliding down during the night. Suggestions are welcomed!

The ones y husband had were memory foam so slipping is lessened.

"Needs to have head elevated" = needs hospital bed. In process?
There are pillows with shoulder cutouts for side sleepers, CPAP pillows for example.

Truly at the end of the day a hospital bed will be the best solution.
The leg section elevates as well as the head and this prevents slipping down the bed and provides far better support.

Jenny, maybe somebody from alsa, mda, or another local group could visit u, and give u some guidance; and possibly donate some stuff?

a medical bed, or adjustable bed will be needed... u will need a lift to move her... the bed will need to accommodate the lift, medical beds will accommodate most lifts, adjustable beds may not.

a mattress overlay / topper will probably be needed, can be bought online, starting around $100... lots of info about this stuff on this site... the search function, at the top right of the screen can access much of that info.

It can be a lot of work keeping up with the progression... feeding tube, communication equipment, wheelchairs, lifts, breathing equipment, caregivers

This is a great site for info, maybe a local group can help out also.

Take care,

pat

Right now she refuses a hospital bed. She also doesn't want a feeding tube or a vent at this point but who knows, that could change. I know the ALS loan closet here has alternating pressure air mattresses but I'm not sure what that is exactly.

I've thought about the cut out type pillow but don't think she would be able to get into the right position with it by herself. A few days a week she is only here with my uncle and because she has to sleep in the nude she won't allow him to help.

The low pressure alternating air mattress that we received from our local ALS loaner closet, was one of the best pieces of equipment we have. My PALs sleeps on a hospital bed, on her back, for 8-9 hours a night. No more need to turn every hour or hour-and-a-half. When she can sleep, it means that I can sleep. Darcey was a side sleeper until the air mattress and hospital bed made back sleeping the way for her to enjoy the night. I hope you find what works for your Mom!

Jim

Jenny,

Maybe one of the lures for a hospital bed could be it would help her adjust herself, with a handle such as we've discussed in another thread?

But not allowing anyone to help her in bed isn't going to last forever, either way.

The alternating pressure mattress might help with comfort, as will any overlay but is not going to substitute for human help.

I have a queen-size adjustable bed with a memory foam topper. The bed functions like a hospital bed except it doesn't raise up. I hope she changes her mind about the hospital bed because it will take time to process the order and find the type of topper (alternating pressure mattress or other) than works best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back