Other
Country
US
State
TX
City
Houston
Hi all,

I've read the stickies and want to thank all of you who consistently try to put us newbies who are worried minds at ease.

Please excuse my long explanation to what led me here today but I think a little background knowledge might help.

My issues started about 2 months ago. I experienced a neck type of injury. I went to a chiropractor after a week and he was able to pop one side and not the other side of my neck. I ended up in the hospital the next day with difficulty forming my words properly, nausea, and dizziness. The hospital sent me home after CTA saying I was just dehydrated.

I then found a new chiropractor that doesn't twist the neck but manipulates the top vertebrae. The day after the first adjustment I felt sore all over, headache, achey, racing heart. Over the course of the last two months I have experienced sweaty palms and feet, racing heart, eye pain behind one eye, eye twinges, headaches. All have gone away.

Now, about a month ago I started experiencing twitching. Not just one or two in one localized place, but all over my body and they happen all the time. (They scare me) I've also started to notice pain in my joints at times. I started getting what feels like little cramps in my feet although not a full fledged foot spasm as I've had those for many years prior for no apparent reason. This is a different type of cramp. I wouldn't say my muscles are weak but mostly the joints connecting those muscles feel achey. I've also been waking at night with night sweats.

My neurologist suggested my right side reflexes were a little brisk. My muscle strength is good. We are running an MRI with contrast of the neck and brain (I already have one of brain without contrast...shows nothing). My blood work is all normal except for low vitamin d that I am now supplementing. Other blood tests he will run is to show CK and B12 levels. After that, he said we'd run an EMG.

So my question for all of you is... At age 26, being a female, the odds become so little that it is ALS. Most ALS have different onset of symptoms with weakness being a huge one. I'm pretty aware when something is wrong with my body and I know something is definitely wrong. Before all of this I was very active, worked out 4-5days a week. Now I'm terrified I am experiencing early symptoms of ALS and more so because of all the weird things that led up to the twitches and joint pain. Any insight you all could provide would be helpful. Thank you.

We only know ALS here as we are not doctors.

You are truly not presenting with ALS symptoms so that is terrific news for you.

There are so many things that this could be, and your doctor is working methodically to work it out with you.

My advice is not to allow yourself to fixate on the worst outcome possible, but keep an open mind and work with your doctor. All the best.

DA,
First, I'd stay away from chiros for the foreseeable future. Most likely is one or both aggravated a pre-existing injury.

Second, if the neck study doesn't show anything, I'd seek out a good PT (not in a chiro's office) that specializes in neurological issues. If it shows something, the likely pathway is to start treatment with PT first as well. Don't get talked into any kind of surgery without a 2nd opinion -- there are many poorly-advised spine surgeries these days.

But nothing you have reported speaks to ALS.

Best,
Laurie

The only people who should see a chiropractor are wealthy and perfectly healthy people who just need a massage. They should also be deaf, so they won't hear all the BS claims that chiropractors make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back