benjamin19

Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
DK
State
City
Copenhagen
I will be 20 this October and I have never been so scared...
I moved to Denmark from south Europe on the 21st of August a year ago full with dreams and hope. However, things did not work as I wanted... I was not able to find a job as quickly as my colleagues and I had a massive problem with housing. Since December last year, I started feeling unwell, namely, I started having sensations in my head, which do not stop till now; I have little breaks 1 day max. and then again. The closest explanation is when a person is chilled, as a result of cold wind and so on. After that, I started experiencing strange pain around my left and right armpits; a doctor checked and there were no swollen limphs or spots, again, the pain comes and goes away. The next moment is when I started having muscle spasms all over my body and weakness in my legs, it comes with a feeling that I will fall on the floor. The strange fact is that I have this feeling of weakness when my legs are in horizontal position, predominantly when I am in the bed. One more fact - I have the feeling that the skin on my feet and arm is stretching somehow. Since March I have problems with swallowing, a feeling like my throat is becoming smaller and smaller + I have white phlems every day, 2-3 per day. I do not know since when but I started having problems with eating, I used to eat very fast but now I eat slowly - 1 hour. One more fact, a problem with penile tumescence - I was OK when it came to this but now I simply cannot... and finally I go to the toilet somehow oddly, namely, a lot of times and almost nothing. The thing which keeps me up all night is that nothing disappears, more and more horrible things are coming. I just want to be normal, to be focused on my study and live as my peers...
Please, if somebody had this experience or have knowledge about ASL,share with me how did you solve the problem or what you did. Is it realistic to think about ASL?
P.S. In the last months I have been 14-15 times to my GP but he is doing nothing. The only thing he gave me was Multivitamin and 2 blood works - everything was OK.
Best, Benjamin

I'm not sure what ASL is, but I am pretty sure that your truly odd set of symptoms has nothing to do with ALS.

Please read the Sticky post titled READ BEFORE POSTING.

These are disturbing symptoms, indeed, but I can not even remotely figure out how you jumped from these symptoms to ALS. They have absolutely nothing to do with ALS. Read the stickie at the top of the page and find a more responsive doctor, but do not worry about ALS.
Tracy

Does not sound at all like ALS though strange symptoms indeed.

Dear all, thank you for answering me so quickly.
Sorry, I wanted to write ALS, not ASL.
it is horrible, I have these waves in my head even right now and feeling that I will fall
I was thinking what should be done ?! Please, if you have some thoughts, share with me.
When I was at home, it was 35 degrees, thanks Jesus, I had the waves in my head, they happen in the back of my mind and it is so strange :(
Dear GregK, I will read the section, thank you. I am posting here because the doctors simply do not want to do something and I wanted to ask people who know. This night I called to 112, EU version of 911, because the waves and weakness in the legs were so severe and they asked me " OK, but Why are you calling to Emergency telephone number? "
I posted here because I started googeling and you know...google said that many of my symptoms are covering ALS and my first thought " oo, I am the next one". Sorry, I just cannot think rationally.

Last edited:
Benjamin-

The people here are experts in MND/ALS. 3 people, who KNOW ALS have told you it does not sound in any way like ALS.

While you have symptoms that concern you, the people here are not doctors and can not tell you what your symptoms indicate. It would be like asking people in a lung cancer forum what is wrong with your eyes. Your pursuit of an answer here is not likely to net you any satisfaction. Please seek help from a proper doctor- not emergency services, but an actual general practitioner. You need a full examination from someone who can answer your questions and provide information as you go through your symptoms together.

Best wishes- I hope you find out the cause of what ails you. It is NOT ALS, however.

Hi Benjamin19
A lot of your symptoms don't sound like ALS.
You say you have been to your GP multiple times and are getting worse, do you have the option of changing your GP trying to see another doctor? It sounds as if you need more investigation to find out what's wrong with you and some help with coping with the distress your symptoms are causing you. Only a doctor can help you with this and arrange for more tests to help with diagnosis.
Wishing you luck with getting this resolved
Wendy x

Thank you for your answers!
ShiftKicker - I see and thank to all of you for showing me the facts and yes, I will follow you advise to find a doctor who will make a proper examination.
WendyWooG - Thank you ! I am in a process of changing my GP but it takes months, literally, and to see a doctor - at least 2-3 weeks, the waiting lists are unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back