View Single Post
Old 09-14-2004, 06:20 PM #22 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

City: NW of Toronto
State: On
Diagnosed: 10/2003
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Al is on a distinguished road
Forum Moderator

City: NW of Toronto
State: On
Diagnosed: 10/2003
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Al is on a distinguished road
Default All about Al

I retired last june after 32 3/4 years with the fire dept. I was a Captain for the last 22 or so. I was diagnosed in Brampton Oct. 27/03 by a Dr. Tullio. Great guy and pretty smart too. I first noticed the fasciculations in Dec. of 02 while in the Philippines for 7 weeks. I was tired all the time and thought it might just be the heat but when I got home in Feb. and was still tired I went to my GP. He did all the tests and sent me off to the Neurologist. He said ALS but sent me to Dr. Bril at Toronto Gen in Nov. for a second opinion. She is a real piece of work if you ever meet her. She thought it could be Multi Focal Motor Neuro[pathy. One of her colleagues disagreed with her and said ALS too. She tried me on a 2 day regimen of IGG intervenous transfusion. Had a real bad reaction to that. Then she wanted to try me on Cytoxan. A cancer drug. Had a reaction to that and said I'm out of here. No more of her. I was referred to the ALS Clinic at Sunnybrooke. I see Dr. Gawell there. On Rilutek and Amytriptyline as well as a few heart drugs. Forgot to mention the Quad Bypass in July of 99. That was the biggest reason for retiring. Couldn't go back on the trucks and the stress of staying wasn't worth it. So I had to give up flying and scuba diving. Think I can still hold up a motorcycle to go for a ride. Going to a friends tomorrow so if the weather cooperates and he hasn't sent the bike on loan back I just might take it for a spin. Have been married to Lee for 34 years now so I guess she's here for the long haul now. Have a daughter 30 who is a R.N and works full time as an Advanced Care Paramedic. She recently (Dec. 20) married a police officer. Son 33 lives in Angeles City in the Philippines and has a Web Site design business with a friend of his. And that's about all I can say for now. Probably have the record now for the longest post. Take care everyone. Al.