Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
AZ
City
Phoenix
Hello, all.

These last 4-6 months, my left hand (my dominant hand) has felt less coordinated and more 'heavy'. It is a bit more difficult to do things like pick up small objects and I will drop a small object with that hand every so often if I'm not carefully paying attention to my holding it. I need to be more careful with that hand. I don't think it is weaker than before, but the lack of coordination makes me feel like it is weaker. I inspected my hand and found that the area of the palm between the thumb and the wrist has less mass than the other hand. If I use my left hand for a while, it begins to cramp and ache a bit.

More recently, my left leg and foot also feel heavier. I measured my calf circumference and found that my left leg has a circumference of 42cm, while the right leg is 43cm. I have carefully checked to make sure I can use all my muscles, and haven't found anything that I've been unable to do.

I have not noticed any twitching or hyperreflexes, but don't feel qualified to do so anyway. Nor have I fallen. It is lack of coordination/heaviness in a hand, with occasional dropping, and some similar feeling in left foot and leg.

Thanks in advance for any input or advice!

Thanks for your response. I did not see a doctor yet - am living abroad and am working to find a suitable one.

I have read through the sticky a few times yet the information therein doesn't seem to completely coincide with what I see many people write in their "Newly Diagnosed" threads. Some say that there is slight weakness and fatigue in muscles and that it grew in scale over time, whereas the sticky mentions just suddenly being unable to do something.

I have a bit of a history of being a hypochondriac, so what I guess I'm really asking is, do my symptoms merit a visit to a neurologist?

The sticky is our official position, so I stand by everything it says.

Your choice to believe it or not.

Go see a general doctor and take it from there.

Err, I did not mean to infer not believing it - I just had some concern/worry because I have seen greater diversity in what people have reported as experiencing. Thank you for your feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back