Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
US
State
NY
City
Queensbury
My mom is having issues with speaking now. Does anyone have any tips for helping with speaking or communicating?

Hi Jenny. If it's the softness of her voice that's an issue there are inexpensive amplifiers on Amazon that have a small microphone on a headset.

There are also free apps that convert text to voice on an iPad. I plugged in a bunch of phrases for my dad and all he had to do was hit a button. For free I thought the technology was pretty good. I'll have to search for the names and let you know.

In the end we used a dry erase board and my dad wrote messages to us.

Not sure what you are asking for Jenny, can you elaborate?

The search function here may also give you lots of good information :)

Mom can't write at all anymore so a dry erase board won't work. I guess I'm wondering if anyone has found something that helps speech. For some reason when she chews gum she can speak better which I find super odd.

If you search here there are lots of threads about text to speech devices.

I found the iPad apps great and we used a jelly bean switch as Chris could not use his hands as such.

I'm not sure if that's what you are asking - as there is nothing that 'helps speech'.

We are also still not sure if she is slurring or having trouble projecting her voice? The more detail you can give us, the more help we can give back :)

What is a jelly bean switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back