Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
US
State
OK
City
Cleveland
My PALS has had a rash on his lower leg area for the last couple months. It looks like red dots. They weren't raised and didn't itch.

Now for the last week, he has those and also has another rash in the same area that are raised bumps and almost look like a heat rash? It is also mostly not itchy.

He has never had anything like this before. Has anyone else experienced a red rash on their legs?

Don't know if this is ALS related or not? This area is the second area his weakness occurred. The first area was the tongue.

Mom had a series of unexplained rashes. Does the rash blanch (it loses color when you press on it)? It's has been our experience that hydrocortisone or nystatin will cure most any rash...

Gilwest, he said the color does not go away. I think hydrocortisone will work on the new rash that has raised bumps but not sure about the older rash. We will try it and see. Thanks for the info.

It may be worth checking out. If you have a good pharmacist even checking there first?

I don't know what it is about skin and ALS but there is a relationship.

Right from early, well before any mobility issues, even before thinking to go to a doctor Chris developed strange dry skin patches. Really noticeable as he had the most amazing soft and supple skin. I always use lip balms and moisturisers and he would do nothing and yet be so soft.

We would NEVER have thought some funny little dry spotty areas of skin were anything except that he took great exception to his skin being marred lol

Anyway, a cortisone cream fixed those dry spots, however as things went along he also developed lots of weird little fungal skin issues. Lots of PALS get fungal things.

Recently Kay (azgirl) used apple cider vinegar on hers!

But I would be checking because I would want to be sure whether it is something cortizone will help, something fungal or we even seem to get an higher than normal number of PALS with scabies.

The lack of itching, to me, tends to point away from all three causes above, that's why I would get it checked.

Please let us know!

Gold bond powder, eucerin tub body cream, and hydrocortisone cream were our friends. I always kept them on hand. Steve would get red patches on his face, almost like psoriasis without scarring. If he was exposed to an airborne allergen, he would get a red rash.

Our GP prescribed an amount of cortisone to be added to a regular sorbolene cream and it worked on anything that didn't turn out to be fungal :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back