Diagnosis
11/2015
Country
US
State
Over the rainbow
City
Somewhere
4 weeks ago I started 5mg of baclofen once a day. I take it at bedtime and it quickly knocks me out. I also take 300mg of gabapentin(been on it for 5 months). I started noticing that I was feeling very weak. My legs are very weak, my balance is off, my hands are weaker and my twitching has drastically increased. My twitching was almost nonexistent since I started taking gabapentin. It is now nonstop and all over.

I was hopeful that it was just the baclofen but after 4 days of not taking it I still feel the same. So now I'm stressing that this is progression and how things are going to be. Im wondering if I should increase my gabapentin? My dr prescribed it to be taken x3 a day however it also makes me groggy so I normally take X1 at bedtime. I noticed that it comes in 100mg so I'm wondering if that may possibly be a better option than the 300mg I'm taking.

Grace,
I'm not sure anyone can answer your question. I do know both Baclofen and Gaba can make you feel weaker. I have both but decided not to take either. Gaba does relax me and helps me to sleep but I also take Remeron which puts me to sleep.
Maybe someone else can tell you their experience with each or both of these meds.

Grace what did your doctor say about it all?

Mr Dr told me to stop the baclofen and we would discuss other options at clinic in a few weeks. I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this with this medicine. Looks like this could just be a progression period for me :(

I hesitated to reply because I have UMN symptoms only. When I took Baclofen, my spasticity got worse, and I was weaker. It also affected my swallowing and breathing. When I stopped taking it, things improved. My concern here is that you have been off it for a few days and your weakness continues. So, yes, I've a similar experience, but things for me improved when I backed off the Baclofen.

I thought I posted, but maybe I shut down too soon...gaba + baclofen interact, known side effect is dizziness, lower gaba dose won't likely buy you anything, wouldn't use either baclofen or tizanidine (another candidate) as a sleep aid, as there are safer options, but the right combo or possibly upping gaba dose may improve the spasticity.

Hope you find the right combination.

Seems it's good your doctor said to stop the baclofen if it is interacting with the gaba.

Please let us know how you go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back