View Single Post
Old 06-13-2016, 10:57 PM #9 (permalink)

City: Small town
State: PA
Diagnosed: 12/2015
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
Buckhorn has a spectacular aura aboutBuckhorn has a spectacular aura aboutBuckhorn has a spectacular aura about
City: Small town
State: PA
Diagnosed: 12/2015
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
Buckhorn has a spectacular aura aboutBuckhorn has a spectacular aura aboutBuckhorn has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Can I take a trip

Hi Faithandlove - yes, please GO!! LIVE & enjoy while you can!! Allow yourself lots of time (check in hours ahead of time) and see if you can get a non-stop flight. Make sure you book an aisle seat. You can take a wheelchair and check it. It can be checked at the airlines front desk or "gait checked" at the end of the airplane "gangplank" as far as I know. Airlines all have a narrow, transport w/chairs that can move between the aisles. The airlines are not obligated to help you access the restrooms, (as far as actual entry and use of the b/room), but I think they keep the transport chair onboard and can help you to the door of the bathroom. The adult, extra absorption diapers (or an added pad inside) are used a lot with persons with disabilities when traveling on an airplane.

My PALS and I have just booked a "life list" / dream trip to Italy and a 10 day cruise from there. We will figure this out as we go along, but suffice it to say I am more afraid of just going day to day waiting for my PALS to die from this nasty disease than I am of any anxiety regarding travel!! We will be prepared, and I will either purchase or rent a lightweight transport chair.

Also google "accessible travel" and you will find some helpful resources!
Thanks from
faithandlove (06-13-2016)