Thread: Food options
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2016, 02:18 AM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Food options

I can't see how someone who presents with bulbar issues is not bulbar onset, but regardless, you have bulbar issues to work out.

The big problem is the mix of textures in things like a hamburger, and as you said the problem is moving food around your mouth while you eat is the problem as it gets stuck to the roof of your mouth.

Now this was a little funny in a weird kind of way. When Chris had his first barium swallow they gave him a small cracker biscuit with a lump of barium paste on top - kind of like a cracker and dip. He put it in his mouth and whoops it stuck to the roof of his mouth and he had a really hard time getting it off. Made great video of just what his tongue issues were. But I couldn't believe how angry he was as we left. He kept saying to me - what kind of idiot gives someone a dry cracker with that barium crap on top???

I just could not explain to him that the purpose was to see how he coped with the two different textures together, and that he also was given a barium drink the texture of water, and some soft fruits. They were watching how he handled the different textures.

He was just convinced they had deliberately tried to embarrass him by giving him something no one could eat...

So you may have to rethink the kinds of food you eat most of the time.
Softer foods that you can take in by fork, rather than biting into a hamburger. I don't mean mush, but not so many changes in texture.
Then make them as high calorie as you can - cook with coconut oil, add gravies with cream (or coconut cream), lots of butter or anything that helps the texture and ups the calories.

You could also make smoothies with your ensure and add cream, ice cream, chocolate, peanut butter, caramel anything else high calorie, doesn't matter if it's high fat or high sugar.

Hope that helps.