Country
US
State
NY
City
Saratoga Springs

History of Asthma, Allergies,

Tests: Bloodwork normal, chest X-ray normal, Barium swallow test normal

Symptoms: Chronic dry cough for 2 months, hoarse voice, worse in morning for 2 months, lower register of voice kind of gone (I sing so I know this) Not getting worse, but not getting better.

Lots of phlegm - kind of a post-nasal drip feeling.

No slurring, no real choking, nothing weird I can see with my tongue.

I have read that Bulbar ALS can start with a hoarse voice or dry cough. Is that true? Should I be concerned?

Wow.

No.

Read the Sticky titled READ BEFORE POSTING.

I read the Stickies. So sorry. It's just the major websites list hoarse voice as a symptom.

Go see your PCP or get a referral to an ENT.

... but leave here and don't give it another thought (until it's time to donate, of course!)

GregK Thank you and I will donate right now. Thanks again.

Just donated $100. Thanks for using your time and energy to answer questions like mine. I feel better.

One last quick question: Should I even mention ALS to the ENT when I go or is it absurd? The hoarse voice and cough are definitely not symptoms?

I do not think ALS should be on your radar but you should tell your doctor what is on your mind. If you do not it will nag at you.
Thank you for your donation. Have a long and happy life

Okay, I will ask my doctor. But hoarseness and cough are not typically ALS symptoms? The ALS.org website lists them, and everything it says is so vague. You guys are way more helpful.

NEVER are the things you report initial symptoms of ALS.
Please let this site go, you have been answered by 3 senior members now who know ALS very well and you have ZERO chance of this being ALS. Well we are not doctors, just strangers on the internet, but I feel confident saying this.

All the best.

Thank you so much! You have relieved all my fears. God Bless and I promise to donate regularly. You will all be in my prayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back