View Single Post
Old 06-05-2016, 03:53 PM #8 (permalink)

City: Amarillo
State: Tx
Diagnosed: 09/2013
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Texas Quilter is on a distinguished road
City: Amarillo
State: Tx
Diagnosed: 09/2013
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Texas Quilter is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Can I take a trip

I have had good experiences flying on Southwest -- very kind people! I recently also flew on American (not as caring, but ok) and Air Canada (wonderful). I have flown with a wheelchair before, but this time took my own scooter. All the airlines were very helpful; I was able to drive it up to the door of the plane. Was nervous about taking it as I've heard some horror stories about damage, etc., but had none at all. I can't speak to the bathrooms, as I was able to wait until I was in the airports. Just returned from a Royal Caribbean cruise & they were very helpful, but I think a lot depends upon the ship & how big it is. I like a smaller one myself. Also had a great experience with Norwegian. I use a travel agent in TX who specialized is cruising for those with disabilities -- she has traveled all over in a wheelchair and/or scooter and is familiar with the needs of people with ALS. Haven't met her as she's a few hundred miles away. If you're changing flights, make sure you have plenty of time between them in case your original flight is late.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texas Quilter For This Useful Post:
Buckhorn (06-13-2016), faithandlove (06-05-2016)