Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
pa
City
pittsburgh
Hello all,
First let me say that i have the utmost respect for everyone here and i envy the strength that you all have.

I have been having some very concerning symptoms as of late. The symptoms first started about 3 weeks ago my left are has had this strange feeling of weekness aswell as muscle twitches on and off throught the day. Shortly after that started my left calf has been twitching non stop and has felt extremely weak although i am able to walk seemingly fine although i have this feeling of weakness. Shortly fallowing the onset of the calf issues my jaw has been geting exstremly tired lately while eating and my tounge feels extremely odd (almost like its to big for my mouth if that makes sense) as well as ive choked on water slightly 2 times in the past couple of days. Ive had an emg on my hand and forarm last year when i had similar symptoms and it came back clean. I seen a nurologist early today and he seems to think i have a herniated disc in my neck causing a compressed nerve. When i asked him why ( and i revield my fears of als/ms) he told me my reflexes are normal i have above avg strength in the effected areas and it seams i have some slight sensory problems in those areas as well. Am i way off base in thinking i may have als or is this a possibility? Im having a hard time accepting the docs ruling without more test being done and im sure my anxiety and fear of als is not helping. I just wanted some honest opinions from people who have faced this horrible disease head on. (And yes ive read the stickys please dont yell at me lol)
Thanks,
Matthew

Hiya-
There are quite a few immediate visual observations and physical tests doctors conduct that very quickly eliminate ALS. Because your doctor has observed sensory issues and a possible compression, there is no need to explore ALS. Get your neck/back sorted out by a physio/osteopath/chiropractor and see how you feel after. Working closely with a physical therapist can get things realigned and reduce pressure on nerves.

best wishes

Im just having a really hard time believeing in his finding because of the lack of test , and the fact i just lost my mom to cancer im 24 with a young son and im fearful this could be the worst and hed loose me. I think i have some mild health anxiety but my symptoms are exstremly concerning to me because they are neurological. But do any of my problems even remotely sound like als?

Last edited:
If you are not willing to trust a doctor, no one here will be able to convince you either.
Please see your doctor about health anxiety and to make sure you visit the right person to deal with your compression/sensory issues.

Its not that i dont or wont believe him its the fact he just brushed it all off and said come back in a month if things dont get better and we will then do a mri of the neck? The lack of testing is what has me in disbelief of his findings.

Strength tests can rule out ALS pretty quickly. The doc said your strength was above average, therefore no clinical weakness. As the stickies said, ALS is about a failing muscle, not feeling. Looks like you're in the clear with regard to ALS. Time to move on from this forum and find out what might be causing your sensory problems--it's not ALS!

That is the goal to mentaly get over this fear and see my symptoms for what they are als is just so damn scary and thats why i have the utmost respect for the als community. I wish i had the mental strength that you folks do.

Can anyone tell the symptoms of bulbar onset? Im trying to gain as much knowlege as possible so that i can end this fear. Like chewing tires my right side of my jaw quickly and like i stated earlyer choked on water a couple of times and my tounge feels weird at rest and when im talking i feel like im trying to over pronounce words correctly. Is any of this ringing a bell or am i just baty?. Sorry for bugging you guys again.

Hi
You were sure you were going to die of ALS in March last year.

Now you are back, and would be 23 years old and think you are dying of it again.

We won't describe bulbar ALS onset, that won't do you any good at all.

You were cleared of ALS last year, and now again today.

Go get another doctor if you want, but we can't help you, we are just strangers on the internet who agree with all your doctors so far. No ALS, high anxiety, possibly other medical issues that only a doctor can diagnose and treat. We do sympathise, but we are looking after people with ALS. Lots of those people that were here last year when you were posting are now gone.

All the best.

Well the fact ive had so many people around me be dignosed with terminal illness in the past 2 years it kind of hightens the fear of the same happening to you obviously im stretching a bit over this but its no rediculus when you consider all that ive seen in the past two years. I was simply looking for some input to either point me in the right direction or to end the fear. Sorry if i offended you in someway.

We aren't going to tell you the symptoms of bulbar onset because you will just look for symptoms that match. We will say that nothing you describe sounds like ALS, bulbar or otherwise. My husband has bulbar onset and I spend all day and all night caring for him. You don't have it, but since you don't believe your doctors or us, I recommend that you find another doc and get some help with your health anxiety. All the best.
Tracy

Your first three sentences was honestly all i was looking for. Thank you for response and you and your husband will be in my prayers.

Another question

Sorry to bother you all again, but im at my witts end with my symptoms and with my neurologist. As my symptoms go my leg symptoms have stoped but my left arm is still constantly fatgiued it shakes when i lift a half gallon of ice tea to my mouth to drink. My left shoulder and bicept are the main issues as of now although i do have the strange tightness in my forarm and am now droping things. My main concern is that i looked at both my arms in the mirror today and my left bicept is drastically smaller compared to the right and is "looser/mushy". In a panic i started testing my strength buy doing ten pushups . And holding my arms out in front of me for a set period of time. Although i completed these task my left arm felt like it was going to give out the whole time. My arm feel constantly fatgiued no matter what i do even at rest and now i feel like its almost no use to me anymore since it feels this way. Im completely stressed out by this and even more stressed out that when i called my nurologist and told him this he declined my request for a new emg (old one is over a year old) instead he wants me to get a mri of my cervical spine (scheduled for tommrow afternoon) my questions are would als start in the shoulder /bicept area first? 2: would it present itself in this fashion "what if it was slow progressing" 3: i know the old saying is als is als is about failing not feeling weak but would you have some weakness that led up to clinical weakness or does it just hit that hard that one day you just cant do a simple task without feeling weak leading up to it. I truely am sorry to bother you guys and gals again but i am at my whits end and i can not find educated awnsers to these matters on my own anywhere else.

Re: Another question

I can't read that big chunk of text clearly.
We really can't help you as you simply do not have ALS.

Go here, it's the only appropriate place for you.
We are dealing with a terminal illness.

http://www.anxietyzone.com/

MD1992, I merged your old and new threads to keep the history in one place.

Please do not open a new thread if you already have an old open thread to use.

As for your post, you still aren't showing any reason to worry about ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back