Friend was DX
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Toronto
Hello,
I have read the sticky and many forums and was afraid of posting because I did not want to be disrespectful. I am a 25 African canadian female and over the past three months, the left side of my body is "numb" and it tingles. I've went to the doctor and did the strength test and assumed it would go away but it hasnt. I can still lift stuff with my left arm but it aches when I do. My left leg can still walk but it feels "heavy." I have a MRI as well as a neuro appointment scheduled. I should also mention als seems to run in my family. My aunt had als and my cousin who was recently diagnosed mentioned a form of tingling at some point. I guess I wanted more opinions?
Thanks and I completely understand if you don't want or feel to respond.

I understand after reading the last bit your concern. I did not before. All the sensory complaints sound like something else. What were the results of the strength tests? If no weakness was found it sounds even less like ALS

I am very sorry about your aunt and cousin. Is the cousin the child of the affected aunt? Are there other affected relatives or other neuro diseases in the family? What is the status of your relevant parent? Even in FALS if your parent did not inherit the genetic defect then neither did you, which makes your risk the same as the general population- extremely low for your age and gender. What were the onset ages of the affected people and does anyone know what the gene defect is in your family?

Thank you for responding.
The doctor said my strength seemed fine but was concerned about the numbness. There is a big age gap between my cousins and I since my father had children late. My aunt was 65 when diagnosed and her daughter is 40 and diagnosed. Slow progression for my aunt and cousin. It is suspected that other siblings of my father died of the disease but it was in jamaica and no one is really sure. My father is 70 and seems fine. I guess seeing my cousin diagnosed made it real for me and she mentioned something about tingling. I will recommend this forum to them and save my concentration and worries for them, but will still see the neuro just in case. God bless

BLACKSCARED: Could you be a little more descriptive about that "heavy" feeling? I don't understand it.

If your doctor is concerned about the numbness, I can't imagine that he's concerned about ALS, too. I believe numbness is more associated with peripheral nerves, and ALS is a completely different set of nerves.

I would be interested to know if anyone with ALS associates tingling with ALS, or is it just a coincidence? I never thought of tingling being caused by the onset of ALS.

The tingling and numbness point away from ALS.

I'm sure your neuro will figure it out.

Did your cousin get genetic testing?

Hello,
It feels like my arm and leg are dead weight and it does not belong on my body or when your limb goes numb and you are trying to wake it up but it doesn't wake up.

No. My father's side of the family is religious and believe what is meant to happen will. But given the amount of uncles and aunts lost to a "nerve disease" in Jamaica, her doctor seems to think there is a connection. I'll have to look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back