Thread: Exercise
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2016, 08:55 AM #4 (permalink)

City: Tucson
State: AZ
Diagnosed: 12/2013
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
azgirl is a jewel in the roughazgirl is a jewel in the roughazgirl is a jewel in the roughazgirl is a jewel in the rough
City: Tucson
State: AZ
Diagnosed: 12/2013
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
azgirl is a jewel in the roughazgirl is a jewel in the roughazgirl is a jewel in the roughazgirl is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Exercise

Exercise has been important part of my day, every day, since I was diagnosed December 2013. The real key is not to do too much as Tilliie said

I found the best exercises to be exercise bike or pool. In the beginning I also did light weights, like 1 to 3 pounds. I was used to lifting very heavy weights prior to diagnosis. At this point I only do pool exercises which also provides rom, and I also work with a PT who does range of motion. Stay far away from any PT who thinks you can build muscle as this can be quite dangerous for you. I exercise and then rest for an hour. If I've done too much it is very obvious and I'm wiped out for the rest of the day. Don't do this!

For me the exercise has been good both physically and mentally, but you have to be careful and smart about finding what works for you.