Thread: Exercise
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2016, 12:03 AM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
Atsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud of
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
Atsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Exercise

Since ALS is a disease in the brain that stops the "go" signal from activating the muscles, it doesn't matter if your muscle is big, little, or ginormous. When ALS destroys the nerve that would activate your bicep, your bicep will lie there limp, whether it's been exercised or not.

Regarding exercise, I think there is general agreement on two things: First, if it makes you happy, that's a good thing. Second, range of motion "exercises," that is, moving the limbs properly will reduce the pain of stiff joints. A physical therapist is likely (but not guaranteed) to know how to teach you and your CALS to do ROM exercises.

However, I mostly see the ALS community telling us not to exercise for strength.
Thanks from
tripete (05-31-2016)