Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Richmond
I am a 25 year old female with no family history of ALS. I know those 2 things are working in my favor, but I can't help but be scared given my symptoms. A few months back, I had cramps in my arm in the middle of the night (I believe it was 3 nights in a row and then it went away). Fast forward to a few months later and I noticed slight right arm weakness. This has progressed to something I notice constantly. I can still perform all tasks that I used to be able to with the right arm, there's just a nagging feeling of weakness. PCP did an in office strength exam (I pulled on his fingers, pushed my arms up against his, etc) and he said he does not notice any loss of strength. My arm also shakes after performing the most simple of tasks . It feels like the muscles just get fatigued way easier than they used to. I have also have muscle twitching all over my body. Have also had some back pain along with tight hamstrings, but I don't know that that is related. I can not straighten the fingers on my right hand without a "pulling" sensation in my forearm. I know that the Internet can't diagnose me and I do have a neuro appointment in 2 weeks, but I am just looking for reassurance until then. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Kelly, thanks for not panicking. Lots of easy, common stuff could be the problem, like a pinched nerve. But I see no reason whatsoever to think about ALS in your case.

Thanks for the reply. I also want to mention that I have lost 6 pounds this month (effectively putting me in the category of "underweight") and I also worry that that could be a symptom. I had a recent bout of gastro issues but those have since resolved and the weight loss is still keeping up steadily. Haven't noticed any muscle atrophy, but I worry that that is the cause of the weight loss. Thanks for being patient with me and the reassurance . I am just fearful and wishing that I could get in with the neurologist faster!

honey still no reason to think ALS even for one moment

Doesn't sound like ALS. I wouldn't worry. I think once you see the neuro, your anxiety will go away. Anxiety and stomach issues can be related....or not. Either one can cause weight loss.

Thanks for your replies. It seems like during the day I can rationalize with myself and say "there's a thousand other things it could be besides ALS", but I get in a panic mode once the sun sets and become absolutely convinced that it is ALS. I have dropped things multiple times today with the hand that I feel weaker in and that has set my anxiety at an all time high tonight.

and that has set my anxiety at an all time high tonight.

Anxiety will do these things every time.

It's interesting that those who actually have ALS don't exhibit the high anxiety of people who post here certain this is what they have, even when their symptoms don't match up.

The muscle twitches have gotten worse and I am now starting to see some muscle atrophy in my right calf (although my fiancée swears that he does not see it). The muscle feels softer and is harder to flex. I ended up in the ER last moving because the muscle twitches were so bad that they would not allow me to sleep. Dr did another neuro exam and said that he did not notice anything alarming. I have my neurologist appointment next Thursday and it seems like years from now! A week is so long to live with this fear! I know that I am being annoying, just looking for some comfort until I make it to the neurologist

Maybe you should ask your PCP to prescribe you some anxiety medicine or up the dose if you're already taking it. It might even help the twitches.

I hope you're not drinking coffee or anything else with caffeine in it.

Remember, "feeling", is not ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back