View Single Post
Old 05-25-2016, 09:15 AM #10 (permalink)

City: Greenville
State: SC
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
Lixen is on a very distinguished roadLixen is on a very distinguished road
City: Greenville
State: SC
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
Lixen is on a very distinguished roadLixen is on a very distinguished road
Default Re: What constitutes 'neglect'?

"Whilst I absolutely do not agree with how you were treated, not every person is cut out to be or wants to be a CALS."

I understand what you're saying and I appreciate it, but I don't know of anyone who wants to be a CALS, just like I don't know of anyone who wants to be a PALS. The issue here isn't whether someone is cut out to be a care giver, but if the current level of care rises to the level of neglect. Yes, it does. I also consider behavior that humiliates and/or slowly robs another of their dignity to be particularly worrisome. ‎

CALS & PALS each have unique challenges but the bottom line is a CALS is capable of walking away from their situation, a PALS is not. Not only is he not able to walk away, he is also (increasingly) dependent upon another human being for his survival.

‎No one is here to criticize CALS, we've all had our [really] bad days and ultra low points, but I'm pretty sure none of us would ever dream of doing something like this, especially to someone we care about. Even if we thought about it during a moment of deep despair or frustration, we surely wouldn't act or follow through with it.

Adopting a toddler post ALS diagnosis is a monster, massive undertaking and it would be overwhelming for most. On the surface it appears to be a recipe for disaster. Without around the clock assistance someone IS going to come up on the short end. Both situations are very demanding, challenging, time consuming and emotionally exhausting.

I'm sure PALS neglect happens far more frequently than anyone knows about, I just want to make sure ‎azwmxman appreciates the seriousness of his situation. ‎

The escalating nature is a constant warning sign. Please take it seriously.

Thanks from
Buckhorn (06-23-2016)