Learn about ALS
Country
SE
State
Sweden
City
Stockholm
Could it be ALS?

My first post here and I'm not English then I'm from Sweden. Ask in advance apologies for any typos. Has been under investigation for four years. It started with tachycardia episodes and then the stiffness of the muscles. After that, I started to lose power in the left leg and then he made an MRI of the lumbar and found the disk bulges and the cysts on the L5-S1 level. Since it started with muscle spasms all over the body but especially in the left leg and lower leg. Have done many studies such as magnetic X-ray of the spine, brain and many blood samples. Has also made three EMG and the first two were without remark. The third man did there included two new muscle groups of the left lower leg, where they found inactive neurogenic changes in older dates. This neurologist related to problems in the lower back. A few months later began like symptoms in the right lower leg. Can definitely take me up and down the stairs but the strength is reduced. Especially when I go to bed I have much muscle spasms, tingling and then on. Have had two visits to the neurologist (by October) and these have been unremarkable. But the other day, I looked at my ankles, and have no idea how they looked before. But do you see any atrophy?
27445-albums981-picture7245.png

My first post here and I'm not English then I'm from Sweden. Ask in advance apologies for any typos. Has been under investigation for four years. It started with tachycardia episodes and then the stiffness of the muscles. After that, I started to lose power in the left leg and then he made an MRI of the lumbar and found the disk bulges and the cysts on the L5-S1 level. Since it started with muscle spasms all over the body but especially in the left leg and lower leg. Have done many studies such as magnetic X-ray of the spine, brain and many blood samples. Has also made three EMG and the first two were without remark. The third man did there included two new muscle groups of the left lower leg, where they found inactive neurogenic changes in older dates. This neurologist related to problems in the lower back. A few months later began like symptoms in the right lower leg. Can definitely take me up and down the stairs but the strength is reduced. Especially when I go to bed I have much muscle spasms, tingling and then on. Have had two visits to the neurologist (by October) and these have been unremarkable.
But the other day, I looked at my ankles, and have no idea how they looked before. But do you see any atrophy?

https://www.alsforums.com/forum/members/27445-albums981-picture7245.png

Your english is fine :)

It does not sound at all like ALS.

I couldn't see atrophy in your photos.

We are not doctors, so keep seeing your doctors for help.

The inactive changes probably reflect the disc bulges injury.

Doesn't sound at all like ALS.

thank you for the answers! Will continue the investigation along with my neurologist but has a few additional questions. Has anyone had early symptoms of heart regarding sinus tachycardias? The only abnormal blood samples found during these four years, testosterone (deficiency) and reduced levels of Iga. Also has problems with his left arm but showed none of EMG, which was made four months ago.

No, these have NOTHING to do with ALS.

Asking directly of a neurologist is your best course of action now.

Appreciate all your answers . I have a visit with the neurologist in a couple of days but have a question about the EMG . In Sweden, the EMG is not performed by a neurologist but neurophysiologist . My question is therefore based on the findings from my recent EMG when there were inactive neurogenic changes of older date in the two muscle groups at L5. Is there a criterion that the changes should be active? And can ALS switch between active degeneration and inactive change?

No things won't switch. ALS shows both acute (active) and chronic (inactive) dennervation, but there are other things that will show.

There is a scale that is used to evaluate the EMG, no matter who performs it and they will write a summary at the end of the report with their findings. Your neurologist will be able to evaluate and explain the EMG results. Good luck.

was on my visits to the neurologist and the neurological examination was unremarkable. She does not know what is wrong with me and will send me for a second opinion. I´ve read the sticky but must ask if someone recognize these symptoms:
* Tachycardia
* Buzzing in legs and feet, not constant
* Weaker in my lower legs, with soreness and twitching
* Tinnitus in my left ear and it comes and goes
* Tremendous fatigue. Does not help with sleeping
* Burning tongue and palate. Getting worse with normally spicy food
* Constipation
* Frequent urination
* Pain in the arms, which is difficult to describe (not constant)

Somedays the legs and arm feels better (not good) and I know that this doesn´t happen with ALS but I´m getting frustrated.

The only blood test that is not normal is testosterone and I have deficiency.

Sorry for my English....I cheated with google translate:)

When you read the sticky you would have noticed that not one of you list of symptoms appears there, so you don't have anything even remotely like ALS.

That is ALL we deal with here - we are not doctors, we are just people either with, or caring for someone with this terminal disease.

All the best, you really need to go elsewhere for the answers.

Tillie , thanks for your straight answer .... needed it. I continue my study with my neurologist who do not know what is wrong with me except as noted on EMG and lack of testosterone. Unfortunately, the symptoms in the legs are getting worse, including the thighs. Going to get a new EMG shortly and did get to try Doxycycline but got worse from this. Suffering with all of you who are affected by this terrible disease….
Wish you all the best and again….thanks for input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back