View Single Post
Old 05-17-2016, 01:31 PM #15 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: Anywhere
State: Western Canada
Interest: Other
laurel is on a very distinguished roadlaurel is on a very distinguished road
Very Helpful Member
City: Anywhere
State: Western Canada
Interest: Other
laurel is on a very distinguished roadlaurel is on a very distinguished road
Default Re: Man Up - Grow a Pair

Pete I really admired the guts you had to lay out your thoughts on supporting CALS. I agree with what you say, but know it can be hard for people to hear as our personalities are so different in response to diseases that take away so much of the person. Some do man up and some do the opposite. As a RN for all my working life, I am witness to how people respond to devastating illness and disease. The experts say that ones response hinges on your premorbid personality (personality before the illness). I think there is a lot of truth in that premise. The "my glass is half full" personalities often died with their glasses half full, and the "my glass is half empty" often died with their glass half empty. I think what you wrote is excellent as it might make some of the "glass if half empty" personalities try a little harder to at least show some kindness and thankfulness to their CALS. But I also believe that some of those "glass half empty" personalities have been through hell in their formative years, and thus became that way due to lack of some of the basics like love and support in their youth. But shaking up people and making them think is what you did Pete, and that is very admirable in my books. We are never too old or too sick to be humane to the ones we love. Sending you a huge bear hug.
Laurel