Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
US
State
wv.
City
renick
I know it's been said before on here that we don't really need more oxygen but to get the co2 out.
Now that hospic is helping me out the nurse want me to have oxygen here at the house for emergencies when I get short of breath while lying down she to save trips to ER.
I told her I didn't think I needed it here but she pretty much insisted. So more stuff in the corner. What the deal? Think they just do this to pad the bill to VA ? I don't really think this but what do any of you think the push for oxygen was for? Thanks sorry so long? Chally

Well Chally they aren't educated about ALS or they wouldn't suggest oxygen. Probably standard procedure for hospice to have it on hand so they can bill the VA for it. When I was in the hospital for my peg, they put me on oxygen 24/7. As soon as they left the room, I took it off.

Vince

You are so right! Very bad idea! Oxygen in the ER is risky enough but oxygen at home is a recipe for trouble. In the ER they can check to see if you are retaining CO2 before giving oxygen. I believe it is ignorance, not greed behind the push for oxygen.

Thanks guys, that what I thought so it'll sit in a corner . I am getting another pulmonary test a sap cause something is changing and I would like to be on top of it so no surprises. Love ya all chally

It's so hard when they insist on this.

Yes, O2 on hand is standard hospice procedure and for nearly every other condition it would be the correct thing to do.

If it's easier to have it there and ignore it do, otherwise you could have your pulmonologist call them and explain after you have these next tests?

Steve had an oxygen concentrator with his bipap from the initial pulmo who said he didnt know how to help him. He gave the concentrator because steves o2 sats were in the high sixties, low 70s for big periods when sleeping. As soon as Steve saw a pulmo with als experience, the concentrator was gone and new bipap settings were initiated.

If you are starting to have breathing problems, the BiPAP is the way to go, not oxygen, agreed. Hospices usually have the most experience with cancer, CHF and COPD. Oxygen plays a role in each of these, but not for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back