11/2015
Country
US
State
Over the rainbow
City
Somewhere
Hello All!

I'm curious if you can help me with this. I am giving my notice to quit work and my employer is working with me to meet my hours for FMLA eligibility. In doing so it is falling on the end of the month. There is a possibility that I may be able to quit a few days before the end of the month.
My question is, does it matter if I file for SSDI 5/30 or 6/1? I wasn't sure if it goes by actual days or just the month. Meaning if I file 5/30 I should receive benefits after 6 months which would be December...or if I file 6/1 it would be January.

They are willing to let me quit a few days early if it will help me to claim May as my ending month and get SSDI sooner. I just am not sure if that is how this works??

I hope this makes sense.

I believe it will go back to your DX date if I remember correctly so there's your waiting period but I strongly suggest you do not wait to apply.
The process is actually really simple especially with your DX. And don't hesitate to call them as they were actually very helpful. Another bonus - you will automatically quailify for Medicare A and B. Best of luck.

I need to disagree KJ . If you are currently making more than around 1100 a month even if you are diagnosed the clock will not start ticking for the waiting period until you stop working. I am not sure of the answer to your question Grace but this link suggests it is indeed counting by whole months
https://www.ssa.gov/disability/disability.html#&sb=0

The 5 month waiting period start after you leave employment
Patrick

thanks Nikki...that does follow what we went through...he started falling at work, left work, was Dx'd, and applied for SSDI literally at the same time - July 16 - August 14 - but he didn't get genes until 2/16.

Grace...not being American, and reading threads here concerning health care, I feel I can safely say NOTHING about your health care system makes sense!!

The people who need it most should not have to struggle with understanding the necessities!

All the best with it.

I am prepared to submit my application the day after I quit working. I've been working on it online and saved until it was time to submit. I just didn't know if it was to my advantage to short myself a few days pay so I could submit in May or if it even made a difference and I could wait until June 1st.
It is all so confusing!
Thanks y'all!

I know benefits are not retroactive. I submitted for my son a couple days after online then called for appointment. They can do the appointments over the phone but need original birth certificates, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back