CALS Roll Call Continued

Argh, had a long response to everyone written and the site glitches. Grrrr.

I started yesterday with a root canal (which was easier than I expected) and ended it with Matt driving two wheels of his PWC over the edge of the ramp, getting himself stuck again, when Heidi (our dog) stopped suddenly in front of him. No way to lift that monster, no way to get the Hoyer over him, no way to unleash a can of whoop ass on a man in a wheel chair! He talked me through using a shovel under the front wheel while he drove it back over. I told him that if/when he loses the ability to talk me through messes like this that they will need to stop happening. He told me that that is why I need to sharpen my brain right now. We had a good laugh, which diffused my irritation at yet ANOTHER PWC mishap.

Yes, I did take a picture and will post it once I get it off of his phone.

Here's to another week. I love you all.

Becky
Queen of Everything

T.C., thinking about you, and Tillie too, as you navigate through the "anniversaries" of grief. Again, there aren't any words that can be of solace but know I am thinking of you both. Sending love, Kathleen

So another week has gone by , so many small changes day to day, How greatful to God I am for every day we have!

Tillie, xx. You are so right.

You go Becky....Queen of Everything is right!! I think its neat that yall are still able to laugh...we were too...and Tracy ran off the edge more than once...always seemed to figure something out get out of the predicaments.

Kathleen, thanks for the thoughts...I put em to good use!

tc

Ah Gem, a nice cold beer while painting is good!

Oh Becky I can envision how that happened! We had something similar down at the beach. He drove the chair partially off the boardwalk. Talk about breaking a sweat!

At this point it is incredible that T continues to be able to walk. His quads, butt, and shoulders are atrophying more noticeably yet he walks around the house. When we are out and about he uses the pwc.

I teach high school online, the year is almost out, and I can't wait.

Mary, where do you find the energy to do everything you do???? Wow.

I taught high school English for five years before bringing my mom home to care for her. It was exhausting!

I'm beginning to worry about the dock. He goes there by himself, and if he runs off the edge there....well.... He does not like me inferring that he shouldn't go alone (of course :))

Funny you should ask that Becky! I told them at school I wasn't going back next year. I was proud of myself. It was a difficult decision mostly because I haven't not worked in forever it seems.

You need to get him floaters for his chair!! Have you applied to the Independence Fund for him for a track chair? I bet he'd love it. It sounds perfect for your property. They serve veterans of any era. The track chairs can go over all kinds of terrain.

Mary, those track chairs are awesome! Matt has a Frontier V6 which will take him all over our property. I'm going to have to fashion something to keep his legs on the footrests, but for now if he raises them they stay on. We were fortuante to have his work insurance and the VA, so the VA got the Frontier and BCBS got the Permobile. We're getting to the point where I think the thought of transferring (with the lift) keeps him from asking for the V6 sometimes, but it is the only way he gets down to the water (so in some ways that's good because at least I know he might be headed that way!!!!).

So glad for this thread to catch up on everyone. Wednesdays keep coming & going so quickly and it seems I get online, get one thread read or one response, and then need to attend to something and have to log off.

Tillie & TC, don't even know what to say. Just a thank you that you continue to come here and share even through your grief. Hope you are lifted up by the love and gratitude we send your way.

Oh Becky, you came to mind when our contractor asked if I wanted railings on our ramp! You are truly a queen of patience! (And I told him YES, please!!!) Don't know if I could keep it together as well as you manage.

It's been a few challenging weeks--my sister has been ill and she's the one who has been helping our mother since my husband was diagnosed. Our remodel is nearly done so we'll be moving first week of May. Right now I feel like I need to be at both houses plus at my mother's/sister's place. Medical appointments for 3, shopping, packing the house. It's all been fairly chaotic. But I am so grateful...for my dear friend who has helped me paint and continues to check in, for my therapist whom I began seeing again a few weeks ago, for my psychiatrist who is always available to help me keep my bipolar disorder in check (a real challenge with lack of sleep), and for a PALS who is simply a happy man. He has his moments (we all do), but his glass is always half full and he continues to ground me with his love and devotion. He continues to be the light and the love of my life!

Wishing you all a good week.

It's only Tuesday, but I have time to post because we are back at Duke for another round of steroid shots--in the hip this time. Boy I hope these injections last for awhile. On top of just making my sweetie more comfortable, they seem to be helping his nighttime glucose levels. Oddly they have been rising overnight, instead of falling as they normall do. Now they are starting to fall--perhaps because he's not fighting pain and taking pain meds all night.

We're early for a change and I've convinced him to use the Trilogy. The fact that he lets me put it on him in public is an indication of just how much he needs it right now. It's one of those mornings when people near him while he's driving the chair need to be defensive walkers...

Yesterday was eye exams and Friday we're back down here at the VA to see the endocrinologist (or sugar doc as they say in the South). Oh, and I get fitted for a crown tomorrow to cap off that root canal I had last week. Oh, and the kids and grand kids and grand dogs were here over the weekend for a family baby brunch (in lieu of hauling my guy 4 hours bank and forth to a baby shower). It was a wonderful weekend and we got Matt out on the deck for hours! As for the rest, It's a brutal schedule, but he's better off sleeping while I drive the van anyway :)

4tloml, I don't know how you are juggling everything that you are at the same time. Wow! As for the rails---oh yes. I can't even imagine what would have happened if we hadn't had the rail there to stop him... It's nice to hear from you glad that your man is also sweet. THAT makes life so much easier!

TC and Tillie, I hope this is a better week for both of you.

Oh, wait, did I say Matt's blood sugar was now dropping overnight? Well, not last night. We started at 6 to be there by 10 and his reading was too high for the injection. Sigh. We're going back Thursdday. I'm not even irritated. As our dear Max used to say, IIWII.

Oh, got home at 2 because we had to eat and stop at Costco. Naturally. Sigh.

Becky
Queen of Everything

Well it's Wenesday here in Oz, the weather is starting to become cooler and we had our first wood fire for the season last night. Our house is coming along and I am now starting to paint rooms as they finish the ceilings. The dado boards go up in the hallway and lounge room today and then they wil be ready for another one over with the sander before a satin varnish is put on.
I lent my land cruiser to my sister to collect some floorboards for me over the weekend as they were a 3 hour drive in each direction, the key ring had both sets of keys for the voyager and land cruiser on it, I'm driving with the fuel indicator light on and can't fill my voyager up because for the first time in 5 months the fuel cap has locked itself and my sister who will be coming back today has the fuel cap key with her, we have a home visit from the MS society who will be providing some in home personal care for BJ in a couple of weeks time while I am away for a couple of days, our Daughter will come and stay and do the general looking after. So life continues to be busy and defiantly not dull. Love to you all and stay strong. Hugs Gem

In the craziness you all are in, please remember to try and take care with your body, and loved one. Take a minute for yourself each day to have a coffee, sit and talk with your pals without the world intruding. I wish I had done this more but to me there was always tomorrow when there is so much to be done. Let it be and enjoy your pals company.

Steph, thank you for the reminder. There are so many things in the past that I wish I'd done, rather than waiting for "a better time". Now the choices are narrower, but perhaps even more important.

Becky

Back