Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually weakness and a lot later atrophy. Symetrical? anybody's guess.
AL.

To Al or anyone else with knowledge

Hey Al, could you define "a lot later"? I had weakness which was followed by atrophy (loss of about an inch on my upper arm) within a month. Is that too soon in your definition of "a lot later"? My arm isn't fasciculating either. Should I already be fasciculating with the atrophy? To make things even more confusing: I started having discomfort and pain (burning and wrenching pain in that arm . . . from the shoulder down to hand) in that arm too. I know pain can be a symptom of ALS, but I thought it was later on due to cramping, spacity, joint problems. As I've said before, all of this started the second week of December. I don't have a clue what is happening to me.

I think it was more than a year after noticing fasic's before you could actually see the atrophy. Loss of an inch in a month seems fast for ALS.
AL.

To Al again

Thanks again, Al. We need to keep you around forever. When they find out lithium works (and it's going to work) . . . and you get better . . . don't you dare think you're going to leave this site. We'll just have to change the focus a bit . . . but I think that we're all just too much of a family to go our separate ways.

You said it took almost a year before you saw atrophy . . . but that was after fasics started. Did weakness start at the same time? When did atrophy start in relation to your weakness?

I have another question: I've tried numerous times to access your slide show / video on that Canadian newspapaer site, but I can't find it. Am I just not looking in the right spot. I scanned the entire web page and I didn't see a thing. Any suggestions?

I had a quad bypass 2 years before and we thought the weakness was just a slow recovery from the surgery so it's hard to say when the actual weakness from the ALS started.
Go to www.globeandmail.com Use search and type als and firefighting. The article's come up as Smoke, fire and Lou Gehrigs disease. Click on it and about halfway down the page on the left is a red maple leaf with the link for the audio slideshow there.
Atrophy was after long time fasic's.
AL.

To update, I saw my neuro today. She is putting me forward for an EMG of my tongue next week. She said it might just be my nerves causing the twitching in there. When I try and totally relax, my tongue does calm down a lot, and there is no noticable atrophy in there, and no real weakness and I'm not drooling and my speech is okay. That should settle it. She says my strength is fine and my air way in my throat is clear, but my relflexes are brisk. I'm glad that she is taking me seriously. She told me to try and relax and not to worry, chances are, I'm fine.

Thanks for your help Al. I'll keep you all updated!

VERY HAPPY to hear that you got such good news and that you're able to relax a bit. Make sure you give us more good news when it comes.

hey

Iam so glad to hear you are fine...i have the same damm problems with the floaters are you stil seeing them after the surgery? mine go on the tv and computer screen and there huge. iam also 25 and having a baby next monday guys....yeah ive had a hard pregnancy weekness and twitching and touge uhhh just to much my eyes are so bad jenny

Jenny ~ Good luck next Monday having your baby! When you have a few minutes, post some pics of the newest addition to the forum. :) Hopefully once you have recovered, you will be able to get to the bottom of your other issues.

BTW, a couple of women were having the IVIg treatment when my husband had his, and they were there because of their eyesight. I'm not positive, but I think they said it was MS and once they had their treatment, they were good to go for several weeks/months. Maybe it is something like that, which is treatable.

Wishing you the best!
Pam B in Va

Thanks Wright!

Jenny, for some reason it seems like my floaters are less since the laser surgery, but I still see them, and they have been "locked in" now I suppose :rolleyes: Something I can live with though. Good luck for next week!

wow

Thats how mine are...if you go back and read my post it started when i was pregnant with my first child lilyrose....i was lying down and all the sudden this thing started in a circle and then stars then went boom into my eyes people thought i was crazy when i told them this thenn 6 months later i started twitching all over and in touinge im only 24 and they stil say no als but i think they will be concerned when im done having the baby... i hate these stupid things are your floaters really big and when you squint your eyes they get bigger and go on windows and tvs? i never met anyone that had the same problem...so the laser only helped a little? thanks for the good luck....and i will post pics of little Isabella Rose.....Jenny

I wasn't expecting any change in my floaters with the surgery as it was for an (unexplained) hole in my retina. Yes they are big, small, some are like threads and cobwebs, some are like parasites under a microscope and some are circles, some stay in my vision for longer some rush past. I can see them in front of the TV, the computer, in windows, in the sky a LOT, drifting over any sort of lights (even a candle) and they do not go away! I've had them now since the middle of December and it's not nice to think I'll have them forever. I have heard stories that after a while, your brain gets used to them, and they are less noticable. Here's hoping.

Can you explain your tongue twitching? What does it look like? (I know I shouldn't be on the forums worrying about my symptoms, but just can't seem to shake worrying about my tongue! :?:)

To update again, my EMG has been scheduled for two weeks time. My tongue is still fasciculating and my limbs are still twitching. I guess all I can now is wait and see what happens.

floaters

Hi, did you get cluster headaches? I get tension headaches and jaw pain and i noticed that during a particular bad time with these i developed floaters, then the floaters seemed to connect like a spider web...... I HATE going into bright white rooms with nothing on the walls because i can see them perfectly and there so blunt it is hard to focus......Luckily that is the only time when they are a problem i have read that they are very common, and have nothing to do with ALS... Have your copper and calcium checked if you have not already, also maybe a ct scan of your lymph nodes. Good luck and best wishes

I've had floaters since I was in my late twenties. I have also suffered migraine headaches since my early twenties. I am now in my fifties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back