Status
Not open for further replies.
I can so identify with the weight gain eating all the high calorie meals that I cook for my PALS. �� What kind of meals do they send?

There is good variety in the meals. There seems to be a fish meal available each week (you pick three of six available menus). We've also had hamburgers with cheese in the middle and frizzled onions on top (with salad), steak, and chicken balls with Brussels sprout and apple kimchi. Everything is fresh, but you can freeze the fish if you don't plan to prepare the meal right away. I do find there's a bit of chopping and slicing, and I use two to three pots/pans per meal, but they are generally done within 30 minutes. All you need is olive oil, salt, and pepper--everything else is provided. Some of the ingredients they provide have been butter, Rosemary, dates, sherry vinegar, and shallots--all in just the right quantity for one meal.

My daughter says they take about as much time as regular cooking- maybe less because EVERYTHING is assembled for you, even packets of spices needed! As far as cooking separately for PALS, may not be necessary unless PALS are on a liquid diet, as mine was. Calorie content is listed- so she gives him more than half so her calories are less.

By the way, I thought it was just me who gained a ton of weight trying to take care of my guy, and with all the stress involved! Reassuring to know I'm not the only one- but now, I have no excuse and MUST get these pounds off for health's sake!

I am at 30 lbs Donna. I am borderline diabetic so the weight must come off. But man that is so much easier said than done.

Donna I put on about 7kg (over 15 lb). That was 14% of my body weight, so a fair amount.

Shifting 25 cubic metres of mulch, and not eating all that rich stuff, lots of lentils and veges from the garden, I eat well and am not left hungry but I've shifted 5 of those kg. Slowly getting back to where I was ...

I highly recommend the mulch shifting, while listening to a good audio book ;)

Becky it sounds like a great improvement would be if they gave you chopped portions so far as the time factor, but then everything fresh bleeds nutrients if chopped up and left to some degree or other.

I love the thought of it making life just a little bit easier, and increasing your variety at the same time!

Another great gift would be a maid service once every 2 weeks

. Here we have a couple places where you spend x number of dollars and prepare meals for a week, two weeks, a Month. It's a great idea.

I used a similar plan, Plated dot com, for several months when my Jesse could still eat. I choose recipes for their simplicity and our tastes and gluten free and would often have to stop in the middle of my preparation to attend to him. But it was good for me to eat one healthy meal a day as I was losing weight way faster than he was and he loved the smells of the cooking. Sometimes he could eat only a few bites then need a tube feeding but he enjoyed those tastes.

Another thing I loved/still love is my IRobot. As we have a cat and dog I ran it every day and it did a good job keeping the pet hair under control.

Sherry

A grocery store with delivery gift card would be great too

this gift is very good . Thanks for sharing.

My local ALS dot org group submitted my name to a group that was offering a free meal for CALS. It was sponsored by the Caregiver Action Network (CAN) and included a $50.00 voucher for use with Chef'd (an online site that allows you to order meals like Nuts describes above). I spent close to an hour looking through menus to find the perfect match that used up most of the $50.00 gift. I filled out the order information, entered my gift voucher and upon submission was told "no funds remain available on this gift". So much for a great idea...

Jim

OOh Jim, that's sooo aggravating!

Jim that sucks - my first thought was - and you wasted an hour as well!

Got this in the mail yesterday. I love my sister in law

Attachments

• 20160228_101438.jpg
    20160228_101438.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 144
Steph, I love your sister-in-law too! That's great!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back