Country
US
State
Florida
City
Orlando
Hello Everyone,

I am a 25 year old male.

I know this is probably something that gets posted a bunch of times on a daily basis here but i just can't live like this anymore, this fear of ALS. I need some type of guidance on it.

I have muscle twitches all over my body. EVERYWHERE. My hands, feet, my back, chest, stomach, arms, hands, eyes. Literally everywhere. Of corse, what did I do? I took to Google for answers and here I am now. I suffer with anxiety VERY VERY bad. I take Lexapro 20mg a day and also have other medications I take at night to keep me from tossing and turning in a panic sweat. Having these twitches has brought it to a whole new level. I am so sacred of this disease. I can barely muster enough desire to go to work. My girlfriend is just about to give up on me, telling me today she is going to move out if I don't get control of myself. I need guidance.

What do these muscle twitches mean?! Why won't they go away?! Of corse I looked up other ALS symptoms and saw that muscle weakness is one of them. My left arm has felt weak, but I can still do everyday things normally. Does the weakness start of like this? With muscle fatigue? I can't get any real answers on the internet on how this all starts. Do you just wake up one day and not be able to lift a comb? I am so scared that even typing this forum has me in a panic sweat. I want answers so bad.

I have dealt with this ALS scare in the past. About a year and a half ago I had these twitches everywhere and was in and out of my Neurologists. Every time I would visit I would be crying my eyes out wondering why my muscles are doing this and begging him to test me for ALS. He would refuse to do testing. He could tell by his simple in house tests I did not have ALS.

Now all of a sudden these twitches are back. Like I said, everywhere on my body. I am so scared. When I ask my family and friends "do you ever get random muscle twitches?". They all respond with the same thing, "No, you probably just over worked your muscles". This is impossible tho. I am not very active and my job requires me to be behind a computer for 10 hours a day. So I know the number one cause of muscle twitching (working out the muscles) is not the reason I am having these twitches. My mind can only focus on one thing, ALS. I would love some advice. Thank you so much everyone.

I'm so sorry you have such terrible, debilitating anxiety. It must be awful. Please get to your doctor immediately and get help.

I can tell you confidently that ALS is NOTHING like this, no matter what you find on google.

Please understand the people here are actually dying, or caring for those dying, it is not healthy for you to be here, nor will it be polite to make a lot of posts here.

It's good that you have asked, and I can confidently tell you that you need medical help for your anxiety. The twitches are a symptom of your anxiety, all of this real but treatable.

Tillie

Thank you for your kind words. I really did feel bad about posting my sob story on here. I just wanted clarification really bad.

Muscle twitching is so common that it is not diagnostic of anything. Twitching can be caused by dehydration, fatigue, too much coffee or redbull, and anxiety. You do not present as someone with ALS. Yes you do wake up one day and a muscle doesn't work, it's not tired it doesn't hurt, twitch, feel tingly,itch or feel different in any way. It just will not contract. The overall presenting symptom I see is extreme anxiety, a treatable condition. Please see your Dr concerning that and I believe your twitching will stop.
Vincent

You're still here, Tag, aren't you? Looking for a third opinion, I guess.

As soon as I starting reading your first post I could tell you didn't have ALS. It just doesn't happen like that.

I don't want to describe "real" ALS to you, because people with health anxiety might "catch it" in their minds, and you have definitely got some anxiety going on.

So don't sweat about ALS. It's your anxiety that is ruining your love life. Get that fixed before it ruins the rest of your life, too.

You're still here, Tag, aren't you? Looking for a third opinion, I guess.

As soon as I starting reading your first post I could tell you didn't have ALS. It just doesn't happen like that.

I don't want to describe "real" ALS to you, because people with health anxiety might "catch it" in their minds, and you have definitely got some anxiety going on.

So don't sweat about ALS. It's your anxiety that is ruining your love life. Get that fixed before it ruins the rest of your life, too.

Guilty for being here still...
My anxiety just causes me to obsess over things like this.
Thank you so much for your advice. Going to try my hardest to calm down and listen to all these wonderful people who were kind enough to respond. Warms my heart knowing that people didn't give me a hard time about this post.

Tag,

Second the motion. Search on your city and "health anxiety" to find counselors that specialize in it. Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and similar techniques may be helpful as an adjunct to drugs, to find lasting relief.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back