Diagnosis
08/2015
Country
US
State
South
City
The Beach
During the past few days I seem to have a new symptom. I have pain under my knee and in my ankle on my weak leg but only when walking or doing my stretching exercises. Do you think this is progression or caused by stretching too much. I have to admit I walk on my toes and heels a few times a week to "test" myself and I've done some pretty aggressive stretching for the past month.

I still have the heavy legs feeling, fasciculations constantly in my bad leg and also something that FEELS like tingling or nerve irritation from my glutes to my inside foot in the weak leg.

It just seems like I have a lot of sensory symptoms going on.

I don't go back to Jacksonville until January.

Progression? No.
Sounds like you strained something.

Hi Kim,
I agree with Greg, not progression.
I find that if I do too much (like walking around on a train for four days, as I've just done) my weak leg doesn't cope. Therefore my hip hurts, my ankle, my knee...

Unfortunately Kim it may be time to take the strenuous out of your stretching regime? It's not fair I know, but please listen to your body.

All the best, I hope the pain subsides soon.

God bless, Janelle x

Kim do some reading here about the benefit of exercise in ALS.

If you are pushing yourself on muscles that are compromised and overstretching them, you will certainly get pain. I agree the pain is not progression, but you can risk hastening your progression if you are damaging your muscles by doing these things. If what you are doing causes micro tears in the muscles, and the nerves to those muscles are dying, then the muscle will waste faster. You could start a bit of a vicious cycle.

Try a few days of really resting those legs and see if they settle a bit.

Thanks, Greg, Janelle, and Tillie.
God bless you for taking the time to answer my question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back