Loved one DX
Country
Uk
State
England
City
Bristol
Hi,
I have been concerned about ALS for about a month. My Uncle died of MND this year aged 77. He was a footballer and had been in the armed forces which I hear is a common trait. I have been told there are no other members in my family to have had it but it is a large family so I worry something could have been missed. My mum is still alive at 65 and her parents died in their 80's. I've been getting whole body muscle twitches and vibrations for quite a while now. I do have a diagnosed health anxiety which is what the GP is attributing this to. The GP performed reflex tests and strengths tests including Balbinski foot test and all were fine. I was starting to believe all was ok when I noticed my left leg thigh has a sort of long 'dent' in it which the right leg doesn't. This has sent me in to a major panic questioning if it is atrophy.
My friends say it's just different shapes of the leg but I am not so sure.

Can you post pictures on here?

Hi Ned,

thanks for the family history which puts your fear in context.

Dents are not atrophy so you don't need to worry about posting pictures for us.

You have no more chance of developing ALS than I have (my husband died of ALS), and I wonder if the rest of your family are in high anxiety like this. If they are not, then it will make it clear just much anxiety can do to a person.

Please discuss this with your doctor so you can be helped through this. I can assure you that thinking you found a dent is not the way anyone has discovered they have ALS.

You must talk to whoever is treating your anxiety about the fact you joined and posted here and immediately begin a strategy to ensure you never log in here again as this site will make your anxiety far worse, so you need to stay right away.

All the best

Yes, you can post pics by scrolling down and attaching them. However, what you describe is no cause for concern. Vibrations and twitches in the absence of weakness are no evidence of MND, nor much else. And leg shape does differ, why we exercise. Try to get a handle on your anxiety by living a full life that has no room for it, as your uncle, I'm sure, would suggest. I'm sorry for your loss.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for your reassurances. The family are not worried. He has a son in his 50s and a granddaughter just a bit younger than me. I will admit the health anxiety was there before his diagnosis and subsequent passing. All evidence points towards a sporadic case but that juggling doubt remains within me especially with the body twitches. I may well have had twitches for years which would be a good sign as weakness would have developed by now but I cannot 100% say they have been around that long. The left leg hamstring is more protruding than the right leg one which creates a dent type appearance leading to me worrying. I really appreciate you replying to me. Thank you.

I cannot seem to find how you attach a picture

I cannot seem to find how you attach a picture

You don't need to. Your story is very clear. You have no need to worry about ALS.

In ALS, atrophy occurs after the muscle has been limp, useless, paralyzed for many weeks or months.

You've gotten good answers from really smart people. Time to go get a handle on that anxiety and begin enjoying life without anxiety. Good luck.

Thank you. I am definitely going to try and do that. Take care all x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back